Windshield wiper switch replacement ... ???

Is it necessary to disassemble the steering column to change the wiper switch?

I have been searching all over and I cannot find info on how to do the replacement. The wipers work on low speed only and stop moving when you turn the switch to high speed. They were almost not moving at all even on low speed so I deduced that the motor was bad and spent $80 to replace that. Now they work nicely on low speed, but still stop when switched to high :shake: .

Looking through the FSM...it appears that the switch is bad as well as the motor, but I need to know what I am getting in to before I go spend another $70 on this thing and find out that I don't have the tools to do the job.

No tilt, No intermittent...just plain Jane :thumbsup:

Yeah...the stalk is easy to take out and replace, but the actual switch is inside the column housing. The stalk does nothing but activate the switch...there are no electrical parts in the stalk itself. I can't tell if the column needs to be disassembled to change the switch or not and I don't want to start taking it apart and find out that I need a spring place compressor and steering wheel puller that I don't have.

Right now, the Mj is the only one of our 3 vehicles that is running. My Ram needs a new battery ($100), and the YJ needs a PCM ($300) :shake:

Sorry, misunderstood. In that case you do have to pull the wheel, horn parts, lock plate, ignition switch, etc. etc. to work your way down to it. I did this when I switched to intermittent wipers. It was difficult and a PITA, but some guys on the forum claim they can do it in 30 minutes. You'll need the lock plate tool; about $19 at Autismzone. Makes it a lot easier. And if you're going thru all that, might as well grab a wiper delay module, intermittent wiper stalk, and get the delay wiper switch.

grn27044003.jpg

OK...that's what I was affraid of. My neighbor has a steering wheel puller so I have that covered, but I will have to get the lock plate tool.

:idea: I'll have to look in to the delay upgrade. Is the module a plug & play add-in?

Please remember...me and electrical stuff are like oil & water... :shake:

Yes. Just install the new switch, run the wires down under the column, plug it the delay module, then the other end of the harness goes into the opposite end of the module. Then plug your new stalk w. delay wiper feature, and it'll work. To bad you're not closer; I have a couple of spare modules and the plate tool.

Whe wiper switch w. delay in a non-tilt column is p/n 56000032. :D
Yep...got that looked up already...as well as the stalk #56002951 ;)

I looked up the module # too, but forgot to write it down as I am going to see if I can get one elsewhere first. They are a bit expensive even at the price I can get through the dealership I worked at :eek:

:hmm: Now it's working as it should... The only thing I did was pull the stalk out, check it over and put it back in and now everything is working.

I'll bet it stops again soon though. Probably a loose connection in the switch / wiring somewhere and I wiggled it enough to get contact again for now. Guess we'll see... :nuts:

The new motor was well worth it though. I didn't know that the wipers were supposed to move like that :clapping:

Don...I was going to talk to you about a module when I got my ducks in a row, but right now I am just gonna go with the flow and see what happens with the new developments here. Thanks for the offer and I will remember you on that if I decide I want to do the upgrade anyway :thumbsup:

Sounds like you got a wiper switch fixin to go south,I have a whole column non tilt including all switches and key for sale CHEAP if you wanna go that way.BTW non delay wipers have no module,switch pluds directly into the harness.

BTW non delay wipers have no module,switch pluds directly into the harness.
Right...but what I understood from Don is that the intermittent module just plugs in to the harness and then the switch to the module. Just a matter of unplugging the switch from the harness and inserting the module inline...along with the proper switch and stalk...obviously.