throttle problem

hi ive got an 88 mj 4.0 5speed 2wd and when i start it up it stays at 2500 rpm and when i press the gas it bogs down then goes. then when i let off the gas it stays at what ever rpm i was at for about 2 or 3 seconds and goes down slowly. every once i a while my gas pedel feels hard to depress but when i try again it works fine. the motor has even shut off on me while driving. and this is a different subject but the last few times i have filled up on gas i have been getting 8 mpg and before i got 8mpg i was getting 11mpg. anyone know of ways to improve that? any help on both topics would help. thanks akot. kevin

with the injectors i will most likley buy new ones. thank you
That will make a huge difference :thumbsup: . I bought some for mine and saw a 14% increase in MPG. The best place to get them is through this guy as he offers a discount to members that I refer... Precision Auto Injectors. Put ' JEEP ' in the coupon / discount code when checking out for 10% off.

Fast idle is often caused by a dirty IAC (Idle Air Controller). However, I also found that there can be a mechanical cause. The throttle cable comes through the firewall to a ball/socket linkage (a bellcrank) mounted below the brake master cylinder. From there, there's a rod that runs up to a second ball/socket linkage, which attaches to an arm off the throttle body. After a lot of time and miles, the balls get rusty and resist allowing the linkage to move. I popped mine off, sprayed the sockets with PB Blaster, and reassembled. A few days later, after the PB had cleaned things up a bit, I popped the rods off again and sprayed a little white lithium grease in the sockets.