Roof Rack Anyone?

I need to carry a canoe every once in awhile. I would appreciate any experience you may have with a roof rack or other minimalist solution for this task.

Thanks,

Bill

I thought Pat's (JeepcoMJ) bro did at one time... I remember a pic in the Introductions Thread...

This is what I did to haul my kayak. I wanted to keep the topper. Probably $75 in the whole thing, in keeping with the theme of driving my $500 Comanche. Iron pipe for crossbars $22 versus $58 for Yak bars, all the other pieces bought off e-bay a little at a time. 1A towers for the cab, control towers and landing pads for the topper(bad pics-no light). I'd like to have one of those carriers above for the rear when I go topless:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I need to carry a canoe every once in awhile. I would appreciate any experience you may have with a roof rack or other minimalist solution for this task.

Thanks,

Bill

I thought Pat's (JeepcoMJ) bro did at one time... I remember a pic in the Introductions Thread...

that be correct.

the rack is just an aftermarket roof rack from an xj, no idea what brand. it's really just for the basket rack and kayaks, but we prop the canoe up between the kayaks down to the bed and tie it to the back rack.

Image Not Found

with the basket removed, we can fit two kayaks and the canoe between them like I said.

-Pat

By the way, I bought a set of 4 1A towers cheap, won't need the other 2, if that sounds like a viable solution for you.

I would be interested, but I know at least one of my rain gutters is loose. I am not familiar with these parts, but it seems like they would require a strong base.

By the way, I bought a set of 4 1A towers cheap, won't need the other 2, if that sounds like a viable solution for you.

I would be interested, but I know at least one of my rain gutters is loose. I am not familiar with these parts, but it seems like they would require a strong base.

That would be the trim, IIRC. Theres a solid foundation underneath. I had to replace the trim piece once that got tore off by a tree.

if you want cheap, they sell foam pads that the canoe rails sit on. then you just strap it down in front and in back. i've used them alot. we used them on my brother in laws nissan pickup all the time. they're cheap too. i think about $15-20.