Shocks or bushings?

OK, more issues to fix. Little did I know when I bought my MJ that literally a month wouldn't go by without something to fix. So this month it may be shocks or bushings or something suspension.

Basically, the truck is driving waaaaay too bouncy, and the side-to-side motion is more than I recall being normal.

THere is also a fair amount of rattle/noise over bumps, so I figure I'll look at the springs and assorted things at the same time.

Any suggestions for general ride improvement in a stock MJ?

If you have wobbling, shaking, rattling, it's time to put the front up on jack stands and start checking every joint, tie rod, ball joint, steering column, track bar, steering box bolts, and anything else that moves and connects one moving part to another.

Deziped gives good advice!!

Side to side axle movement is held in check with the track bar. But there are more than a couple things in there that coud by them selves or together couse this problem.

Did this just start? What is the last thisg you did?

CW

If you have wobbling, shaking, rattling, it's time to put the front up on jack stands and start checking every joint, tie rod, ball joint, steering column, track bar, steering box bolts, and anything else that moves and connects one moving part to another.

:agree:

check your shox and bushings as well, the factory bar pin doesnt keep them tight enough so the end connected to the axle moves and vibrates. And i don't know about anyone else but the shock top bushings seem to sheer off for me so check those too. JKS bar pin eliminators solve that problem. Other than that deziped said it plain and simple.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I was a little unclear in my original post.

The truck isn't wobbling, tracks straight and acts pretty well on the road.

Except that when I bounce test it, I get two rebounds. And if I grab the side of the bed and shake it, the side-to-side motion also doesn't dampen out correctly. Yes, there are a few noises when I drive (especially on bumps) but thats not what I was asking about.

I figure its shocks and probably bushings. I thought I would ask if there were any suggestions for making it smoother. I thought maybe someone would suggest a favored brand of shock, or maybe a place to get bushings for the swaybar/leaf springs/body.

?

If you have any doubts about your shocks, then it's likely time to replace them. I liked my gas-charged Monroe sensatracs (i think that's what they were called). Shocks are like oil filters, you do get something for your money. Just don't buy the cheapies and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

Mine made alot of noise around bumps and stuff. The shock top bushing on the driver side sheared off and it was metal to metal and it made alot of noise on the bumps. Shox could be shot, but definitely recommend the jks bar pin eliminators.