NEW RIDE / NEW PROBLEMS!

Whats up guys, well I just picked up a 98 xj from my brother in-law. (It has 231422 miles on the ticker) It has been having problems with the heat! Let me tell you some of the past history on it.

Twice it has rusted out the freeze plugs, and we use to flush the motor and radiator to get the heat working again. But now it doesn’t seem to work as well. Could it be that the inside of the block is rusted up and its not being able to heat as well??? Or do you think I need a new heater core??

When ever I needed to get rid of some rust on some old bolts or something I use to mix up one part molasses to ten parts water and it works as a rust remover. I was thinking about mixing up a batch and putting it in the radiator for a week or so. it takes about a week to eat a good portion of the rust away. I think the sugar eats the rust, I'm not really sure how it works but I know it does from past experiences. What do yall think I should do!! Ill post some pics up of it soon. When ever I can get home and its light outside!

:ack:

Yep, heater core is plugged up.

Feel the heater hoses and see if both of them are hot with it running and up to normal operating temp. If only one is hot than it is plugged. I don't think the 98s had the heater valve on them. If it deose make sure that it is working as well.

3215458526_554d20fcfd.jpg

3214609991_080c02331d.jpg

Here are some pictures of my new jeep. Well new to me jeep! I actually bought this jeep from my sister and her husband. They bought this jeep brand new so I’m the second owner. Even though it has 230000 + miles on it. I got it for a great deal so its ok to me. Ill probably rebuild the engine and transmission over the summer or next winter but for right now its fine. The heater core is stopped up a little. I took the hose pipe and rinsed it out a little the other night and then I put some cleaner in it to help un-clog it. I figured I will try to clean it again Sunday. It worms up enough to get by but its not quite cozy yet. It was 14 degrees when I got in it this morning but after about 3 or 4 miles I wasn’t shacking anymore. :rotfl2:

I pulled the freeze plugs on the 4.0 I swapped into my MJ while I had it out on a stand. There were chunks, and I mean CHUNKS of rust/scale built up between the cylinder sleeves and the block casting. I had to break them up and suck them out with a shop vac.....I doubt any commercial flushing chemical would have broken them up, and if it did the little pieces would have ended up migrating all thru the system.

I wish I'd have taken a pic....I still can't believe what was inside.

Jeff

I had a problem with the wifes 00 xj running warm last summer. It wasnt overheating but was running about 210 on the guage. When I first pulled the radiator cap to check the antifreeze level I found the gooseneck on the rad 1/2 way full of rust. Figured that was why it was overheating so I drained and flushed the entire cooling system untill I got nothing but clear water back. Filled it back up with coolant only to find it still ran warm. Finally gave up and pulled the water pump to find the impeller had rusted almost completely away. What remained looked like a ninja throwing star that was only about 1 and 1/2 inches across.