Who carries the Rear Glass?

Tempered glass cannot be cut -- period. It doesn't cut, it shatters.

But laminated safety glass can be cut. That's what ALL automobile windows were made of up through the 1950s and maybe into the 60s -- don't remember just when I started seeing tempered glass windows. I wouldn't have any problem using laminated glass for a rear window -- and it would be considerably more resistant to theft, because it WON'T all drop out if broken by a rock.

Or Lexan -- but you need to allow for more expansion and contraction due to temperature with plastic than you do with glass.

I work in a furniture shop and a local glass shop cuts custom glass for us. If a customer specifies tempered safety glass, they cut the glass first, then temper it.

Like Eagle sais, after it's been tempered, it cannot be cut without it shattering into tiny pieces.

Like Eagle sais, after it's been tempered, it cannot be cut without it shattering into tiny pieces.

Yep, that's what I've always have been told.

So hey TAZ. I called the dealership in Rapic City today to find out that they did have the part. :clapping: But, was holding it for a customer that had special ordered it. :( The guy there said he would call the guy and see if he still wanted it and call me back. rtft.gif

Well, turned out that he did and was on his way to pick it up. :wall:

I have to hand it to the parts guy there. You don't find many that would look out for his regular customers. Had it been here, they would have just given it up and screwed the person that ordered it.

So, what options have I got for the weatherseal/gasket for the rear? Is there a generic one?

:cheers:

So, what options have I got for the weatherseal/gasket for the rear? Is there a generic one?

I've never figured out how to remove a rear window without trashing both the glass and the gasket, so I don't know. The tough part would seem to be the two sharp turns on the bottom corners. I wonder if you could take a pair of gaskets from the fixed side windows on an XJ and splice them together to make a gasket for the MJ rear window.

I do not know about your info but what ever. My brother and the Mike at our boat shop do cut temperd glass.

I alread told you about the seal. maybe you can not buy it in the us but I can not see why you can't. you can buy a roll of seal here from any glass shop and cut to fit. as far as taking the window out use piano wire or a very small pice of snare wire. works the best to cut the old seal out.

but hay what do I know I was triming temperd glass with an angle grinder to make it fit last month. and put in a seal cut to fit and the internet says you can do it. hahhahahaaaa

good luck with you window.

You might want to get that, as I'm sure someone will want it. The 3 piece sliders are the original stock ones, and are not being made any more.

Ding-ding-ding.... That'd be me.... My glass is fine, but its missing the latch.. Wait.... Should I be writing this in the classified section??? :hmm:

I checked that one at the junkyard, the latch was broken, sorry bud.