Transfer case problem

I rarely use my 4WD as my truck is mostly my DD. After reading a thread the other day I noticed that my 4WD light never comes on when I shift into 4HI. So last night I decide to shift it into neutral to make sure it was atleast shifting and it will not go into neutral (yes I moved the shifter to the right). I assme there is a problem with the linkage which I will check when it warms up a little. There is no problem shinfting into and out of 4HI. Anyone else had this problem or have an opinion?

Also, what is the best/easiest way to check if it is even shifting into 4wd? see if front d-shaft is spinning?

I have never had one that didn't want to go into neutral, I have had to roll one to get it out. Check your linkage. To check four high I would remove your rear drive shaft and see if it drives. Or just try doing a burn out.

The light is activated by a switch that's turned on when the vacuum for the CAD slides the collar over and locks the front axle. This is a completely separate action from the transfer case actually engaging the front, which is done physically when you move the lever. If the CAD has been bypassed, is broken, or any of the wiring is bad (including the light bulb) you can still be in 4wd but no light on the dash.

Best way to actually check if the transfer case has engaged is to raise all four wheels off the ground and spin them. The linkage could be crapped out though, especially if you're having trouble moving it freely there's a good chance of gunk buildup. Once you start fighting the gunk all the linkage pieces start bending and flexing in ways they're not supposed to so you might need to play around with the position of the lever before you've actually engaged the 4wd.

Thanks for the replies. When it warms up I will break out the FSM and tear the whole CAD down. I would like to keep it stock and working but if it starts to become expensive i will probally just shim the fork over, atleast temporarily.

Is the linkage for the XJ swappable to an MJ? if so, is it just up til 96? Is there a place that sells the linkage?

Thanks for the replies. When it warms up I will break out the FSM and tear the whole CAD down. I would like to keep it stock and working but if it starts to become expensive i will probally just shim the fork over, atleast temporarily.

Is the linkage for the XJ swappable to an MJ? if so, is it just up til 96? Is there a place that sells the linkage?

No need for the FSM, there are plenty of good pics and links on this forum (see my "Snow and no 4x4 thread", I linked to at least one from here) and it does literally take only a few minutes.

I'm pretty sure the XJ linkage would be swapable, as long as the transfer case is the same (I think the linkage is the same from pics I've seen you between cases but I'm not sure). I've been looking to replace mine as well and like the looks of this unit but can't get over the price. :eek:

Novak Linkage

edit (forgot a few other things)

If your light was working previously and just stopped, it's probably a vacuum line leaking. Mine had enough vacuum to turn the light on but there's a small leak, so enough torque would drop the vacuum and pop the collar off. I since bypassed the CAD and in fact now have a better front axle I'm waiting to put in with a one-piece axle.

btw if you need help wrenching I'm just around the corner here in RI