newbie question

hey guys, long time jeeper here, yj wranglers and xj's, and i love the mj. i currently have 2 yj's and i'm on my 3rd xj. here's the question. i've been looking for one for quite a while. they are either all 2 wd or 6 grand. i might have found a candidate, 4.0 auto 4wd and its the heavy ton, or at least it has a sticker. i never knew about this option till i did some research.

the truck is a few hours away, and i know the heavy ton will have a d44 rear axle, but i haven't been able to see it yet, so is there any other tip offs as to if this is actually a heavy ton, or just a sticker, what else can i look for? what else can you tell me about the heavy ton, all i can get is wikipedia crap. what can it really tow? :hmm: thanks guys.

thanks, i was starting to think i didn't take a shower or something, not even a hi. :D

i did a search, and didn't come up with much. ya the sticker says heavy ton 2,205 lbs. its in the rear window, all proud ya know. its a pioneer, long bed, so thats all right. just wonder if there's anyother give aways to make sure.

The Dana 44 is a good indicator. :D As are the leaf packs. They have a 4+1 instead of the regular 3+1 leaf setup.

2wd isn't much of a problem since it's a bolt-in procedure to convert to 4wd using stock MJ/XJ parts. :thumbsup:

Also, the package goes by a few different names, including Big Ton, Heavy Ton and Metric Tonne.

great, thanks for the help. actually it does say big ton. i'll know if its a d44 when i see it, and now i know to look for the springs. i just wanted to make sure its not just a sticker. or even someone just swapped in a d44 and put a sticker on it.

so what do you guys think of the big ton? is it a worthwhile platform? it sounds like it to me. just want some pros opinions. thanks again for the help.