front towing/pulling point

where do you guys hook your tow straps on the front of the mj's. the guy i got mine from hooked a rope to the drag link and bent it. i can't own a truck without a solid tow point front and rear. so what do i need to do to get a good solid tow point? i was thinking of pulling the bumper and welding some 1/4" steel to the back of it and running tow points from there. i've also thought of making a brace that comes down behind and under the bumper.

i'm curious what everyone else does.

You can buy tow hook brackets. don't just bolt a tow hook to the "frame" it will rip out. You need a tow hook bracket the runs along the frame and bolts in about 4-5 places. Or build a new steel front bumper. don't pull from the drag link or sway bar, thats just dumb. In a pinch I have pulled somebody with the strap all the way around the axle tube nearest the control arms. Thats the safest place w/o tow hooks or a bumper.

This is a good kit you can get from Motion Offroad: (made by C4x4)

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=119

xjtowhookbrackets.jpg

i can't understand why he would tow it by the drag link. i guess he towed it that way for a pretty good distance. the support you show in the pic is along the lines i was thinking of making. i'm not sure if i should go that route or just beef up the bumper. are the bumper anchoring point strong enough to take the abuse or does it need to be reinforced as well. i'm not afraid to weld a bunch of thick steel in. :yes:

are the bumper anchoring point strong enough to take the abuse or does it need to be reinforced as well.

No. Its pretty much 1 bolt out of 3 that would carry to load of a hard pull (if you used the front 3). The front two with any kind of hard load will rip out and take the back both with it.. Just cut a piece of plate to go behind the factory brackets and make it long enough to grap that hole in the back. I'm sure you know what your doing so just hop under the and take a look, but just don't use the 3 factory spots, use those and then some. Kinda hard to explain, but i tried. :ack:

You can buy tow hook brackets. don't just bolt a tow hook to the "frame" it will rip out. You need a tow hook bracket the runs along the frame and bolts in about 4-5 places. Or build a new steel front bumper. don't pull from the drag link or sway bar, thats just dumb. In a pinch I have pulled somebody with the strap all the way around the axle tube nearest the control arms. Thats the safest place w/o tow hooks or a bumper.

This is a good kit you can get from Motion Offroad: (made by C4x4)

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=119

xjtowhookbrackets.jpg

I used that same kit and am very pleased with it.

The frame is very thin sheet metal (unibody vehicle) and without reinforcing, the holes will rip out. With this kit the frame gets sandwiched between the brackets, and the load spread toward the back more, while at the same time strengthening in case of side pulls.

The factory bumper mounting points are only strong enough to hold up the bumper. The same principle applies to a new bumper as it does the hooks, you must tie it in to as many point along the frame as possible. :thumbsup: