Rear bumper options and/or questions...(First New Thread)

First off, this is a great new resource. I have been on JU since 2000, and it was great when I had my XJs, but there is not a ton of MJ support, plus as the MJ/XJ gets further from production, interest and support seems to wane.

Anyway, I have just bought/inherited a 1988 MJ LB 4x4 that has been in my family since it was new. 93K, no A/C, paint that is failing, sloppy steering...but a great truck. Unfortunately, I tweaked the rear bumper when my father still owned it (I was using it to pull root balls from the front of my house). It belonged to my grandfather, who bought it new in 1987/88, then to my father. My grandfather passed away a couple of weeks ago and my father bought the truck that my grandfather had at the time of his death, so I bought (for dirt cheap) the MJ to keep it in the family. I hope to do a basic update/restoration to keep it running for as long as possible. It is my 7th Jeep.

I do not have a welder, not access to the skills needed to fabricate a rear bumper. As this will not see trail duty any time soon, a stock replacement will most likely work. I was looking online and found the following option:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VNZMM?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-auto-delta-20&linkCode=asn

(It looks chrome, but the description lists it as black.)

So if I understand correctly, this is really a Dodge Dakota replica bumper, which from searches on JU, should bolt up. However, does it bolt to the stock MJ mounts, if I still have them (I do), or do I need the MJ adapters listed in the ad, even if I have the stock mounts in place?

I tried searching here, but got no valid results because the search engine eliminated the woard "rear" from the search string.

Other pics (just for fun):

Thanks in advance, all!

I do not have a welder, not access to the skills needed to fabricate a rear bumper. As this will not see trail duty any time soon, a stock replacement will most likely work. I was looking online and found the following option:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VNZMM?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-auto-delta-20&linkCode=asn

So if I understand correctly, this is really a Dodge Dakota replica bumper, which from searches on JU, should bolt up. However, does it bolt to the stock MJ mounts, if I still have them (I do), or do I need the MJ adapters listed in the ad, even if I have the stock mounts in place?

Welcome aboard, and it's good to hear you are keeping that fine MJ in the family. :cheers: To answer your question, that Fey bumper listed on Amazon is a Comanche-specific bumper, and will work fine on your rig. It does not use the stock bumper mounts and requires the additional mounting kit to bolt-on. That's not a bad price either including shipping. :D

First, Welcome to Comanche Club. I also have a long bed MJ but mine is a 86.

Second, I sugest that you remove your rear bumper and figure out how it mounts. Then take photos and measurements then go to your local junkyard with that info and find out what fits.

I have a steel step bumper that came with it when I bought it. I also wanted to make a better one but i have a shell on mine now so it will stay. Its my next thing to be powder coated.

You can see mine here in Mj projects viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12756

Thanks to all for the posts above. I have looked at a few custom-fab bumpers for the MJ, and I am impressed with them all, so far. Some may have more utility to me than others, with the integrated receiver, so I am going to see what fits in the budget.

Part of me wants to just get the Amazon one for $142 shipped and them get a receiver later (if needed), but I hate building anything with the knowledge that something bought now will be rendered useless or obselete by an anticipated future purchase. That said, $142 shipped is still dirt cheap!

I did go ahead and start a real buildup thread in the buildup section, just so as to not clutter up "Tech" with "hi, I am new here" posts.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13747

That being said, I appreciate all comments about the bumper and options in this thread, and feel free to visit the other thread any time for what I hope to be somewhat regular updates!