Rear shackles length vs. lift?

I'm in the process of doing a small budget lift to my truck. I used 2" spacers in the front, and now its time to go to the back.

I want to be just a tad higher in the back as well. I'm gonna be making a bastard pack of leaves from two manch packs (really just cutting the ends off the old main spring and adding it to the new set). After this, I'm gonna make a set of shackles to achieve the ride height I want.

I just need a basic idea of what length does what to the lift of a truck.

Thankyou.

MJ shackles are longer than XJ shackles. Since the shackles are pointing down on our trucks and Cherokees as opposed to a lot of other vehicles. So XJ shackles will drop an MJ. Chevy 2" drop shackles are supposed to fit and lift a Comanche 1.5" or so and can be had for $40 or $50 off Ebay. I have drop shackles off something, don't know what originally but could be the Chevy drop shackles and they lifted my rear about 1.5". But to quote someone on here when seeing a picture of my truck: "Holy long shackles batman!".

The best solution is lift springs, but that kills the idea of a budget lift. Another option would be an add-a-leaf, but they ride horribly and sag quickly.

IIRC stock length for Comanche shackles are 7.25" center to center. Any other shackle, take the difference and divide by two will tell you what effect it has on your truck. Cherokee shackles are 4.75 or so. It is raining right now, so it's too wet to measure my lift shackles.

Adding a second MJ main leaf should give you between 1" and 1-1/2" of lift, and should not detract noticeably from the ride. If the main leaf doesn't provide enough lift, splice in the second leaves from the donor packs as well. Cut the tips off so the ends fall between the number 2 and number three of the original leaf pack.

MJ shackles are longer than XJ shackles. Since the shackles are pointing down on our trucks and Cherokees as opposed to a lot of other vehicles. So XJ shackles will drop an MJ.
Ahhhh...OK. I obviously have never done anything with shackles and I couldn't remember for sure which way it went, but I really thought it was lift so my apologies for doing what i don't normally do and offering unconfirmed info.

Well as usual I changed my mind and went overboard, in this case.... the springs. I took the three leaves (no helper spring) from the old pack and integrated them into the new (to me) pack.

It's not done, in that I need to get longer U-Bolts, and I need to bend new clamps that wrap around the leaves, but I sat her down and got exactly 3" of lift. The truck sits just how I want now, and isn't overly stiff either. I hope it doesnt settle too much. Here's a few pics:

The drawing board:

Image Not Found

I cut to old spring halfway around the bushing eye to get a cup underneath the main leaf, so all the weight isn't on the top leaf.

Image Not Found

Blurry picture of the new stance (2" spacers in front)

Image Not Found

I'll update when I finalize the setup, and drive it.

Matt

With that many leaves, all aged and arched alike, I really do not think you will have to worry about them settling. But the spring rate should be close to twice the stock spring rate. Just what do you consider "not overly stiff"? Anything less than a dump truck leaf pack? :D

Wow! I have a question though. In the pick of them on the table with the clamp, there are 6 leaves, but when on the truck I count seven! What is the correct number? And how much road time have you put on them since you said they do not ride that stiff?

Thanks.........

its the same count on the table and on the truck. look again?

Wow! I have a question though. In the pick of them on the table with the clamp, there are 6 leaves, but when on the truck I count seven! What is the correct number? And how much road time have you put on them since you said they do not ride that stiff?

Thanks.........

its the same count on the table and on the truck. look again?

ahhh, correcta-mundo! if you look at the lower right corner of the pic, since they are not connected yet the main leaf seems to be hanging down a bit and I only saw 6. But in the middle of the pack I see the 7. Ok, then double-wow!