fuel pump problem

I have a 1988 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 and today i went to leave walmart and it started then stalled so i started it back up and it ran like crap then stalled again. So i went to start it back up and one of the wires on the solenoid started smoking. So i put a new pump in it and it still wouldnt run, so i straight wired the balist resistor and it started up, then stalled. Sometimes it starts but doesnt have full power then it will stall again. So i put anew resistor on it and samething, so i checked the fusible link that smoked and it has power. I also checked all the relays andthey are good. Has anybody had a problem like this before.

When you say you "checked the relays"...how did you check it / them? Try swapping the fuel pump relay with another one and see what happens.

Get a guage and see if you can keep it running long enough to check fuel pressure.

If all is good on the fuel side, then I would start to suspect the CPS.

I changed the ignition switch today because it was messing up, got that all done and same thing whats happening is the ballist resistor is getting real hot and it seems its loosing all power to the fuel pump, then when it all cools down it starts back up.

I have a 1988 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 and today i went to leave walmart and it started then stalled so i started it back up and it ran like crap then stalled again. So i went to start it back up and one of the wires on the solenoid started smoking. So i put a new pump in it and it still wouldnt run, so i straight wired the balist resistor and it started up, then stalled. Sometimes it starts but doesnt have full power then it will stall again. So i put anew resistor on it and samething, so i checked the fusible link that smoked and it has power. I also checked all the relays andthey are good. Has anybody had a problem like this before.

If "one of the wires on the solenoid started smoking" and "so i checked the fusible link that smoked" is happening, there are more basic problems than the fuel pump ballast resistor getting hot or not. You have a primary power mains problem; i.e. bad mains grounds, battery cables partially shorting out, or something that a thorough visual inspection of your primary + and - cables might just solve. Inspect your + battery cables to the starter, relay center, and whatever else might be hotwired in, and check the engine and body grounds for corrosion. I think the fuel pump problem is a a sub result of a hell of a short somewhere else since solenoid wires are smoking, fusible links are blowing, and your ignition switch went out.

Or it all could have happened out because you left your rig in the Walmart parking lot. Strange things happen there because of the weird creatures that lurk in these locations......... :cheers: