Broke a valve cover bolt

Well, I think I have discovered and perhaps fixed my oil leak. I went out to tighten the bolts on the valve cover and discovered that every single one of them were finger loose. I could turn all of them with my fingers so I started tightening them until they were snug.

No, I don't have a torque wrench.

Yes, I plan to get one now because in my zealousness to tighten them I broke one off. Part of the bolt is still in the block.

Two questions.

1. How hard is that to fix?

2. Will cause me problems until I fix it?

I started the engine up and it runs just fine. I looked under the truck and saw nothing dripping and watched around that bolt and saw no oil coming out. It's in a great spot. Right up front. If you're facing the engine it's right there on the front right.

Well, I think I have discovered and perhaps fixed my oil leak. I went out to tighten the bolts on the valve cover and discovered that every single one of them were finger loose. I could turn all of them with my fingers so I started tightening them until they were snug.

No, I don't have a torque wrench.

Yes, I plan to get one now because in my zealousness to tighten them I broke one off. Part of the bolt is still in the block.

Two questions.

1. How hard is that to fix?

2. Will cause me problems until I fix it?

I started the engine up and it runs just fine. I looked under the truck and saw nothing dripping and watched around that bolt and saw no oil coming out. It's in a great spot. Right up front. If you're facing the engine it's right there on the front right.

It should be easy enough to get it out, but you will likely have to remove the cover to do it... Personally, I like cork gaskets. This will go a long way to stopping your leak anyhow!!

O n bolts like these, I like to grasp the ratchet in the palm of my hand with my index finger and thumb on the extension or socket and NOT use the ratchet handle at all. Tightening this way will greatly lessen the torque you can apply. Snug is good here, its VERY commom for the valve cover bolts to do what you have found. The gasket shrinks with time.

CW

It should be easy enough to get it out, but you will likely have to remove the cover to do it... Personally, I like cork gaskets. This will go a long way to stopping your leak anyhow!!

O n bolts like these, I like to grasp the ratchet in the palm of my hand with my index finger and thumb on the extension or socket and NOT use the ratchet handle at all. Tightening this way will greatly lessen the torque you can apply. Snug is good here, its VERY commom for the valve cover bolts to do what you have found. The gasket shrinks with time.

CW

Take the valve cover off and see if it broke off flush with the head. There may be enough of it stilcking out that you can get a good set of vice-grips on it and get it out.

I don't like cork gaskets and went with the Felpro rubber gasket on mine. It is a bit pricey, but it requires no selaer, it's reuseable and very good quality :thumbsup:

Take the valve cover off and see if it broke off flush with the head. There may be enough of it stilcking out that you can get a good set of vice-grips on it and get it out.

I don't like cork gaskets and went with the Felpro rubber gasket on mine. It is a bit pricey, but it requires no selaer, it's reuseable and very good quality :thumbsup:

I can't do anything until next weekend. Will it be OK to drive until then?

Also, I have a sheet of stuff to make your own gasket. I used it to make a gasket for the carburetor on the MG. Will that work if I have enough?

YES to both, just watch the valve cover, there really isnt any pressure there, but if its not at least closed it will leak.

CW

I can't do anything until next weekend. Will it be OK to drive until then?

Also, I have a sheet of stuff to make your own gasket. I used it to make a gasket for the carburetor on the MG. Will that work if I have enough?

YES to both, just watch the valve cover, there really isnt any pressure there, but if its not at least closed it will leak.

CW