Lifting a MJ: NC

I have an 89 MJ. I am getting a 3 inch lift for Christmas ( God Bless). It will probally never see the off road, but to be on the safe side if it does, I would like to have the spring over axle conversion. Would that be a smart idea with the lift? This is a 15 mile per day driver. If so what size lift would need to be added to the front? Thanks Shane

The SOA is going to give you between 5-6" of lift, so you will need a 6.5" front lift to match it. If you only want 3", put a decent front 3" kit and then get some leaf springs from one of the guys that make springs for the MJ like Hell Creek Suspensions or Motion Offroad...both are members on here and will probably give you a little discount if you tell them you are a member here. ;)

They also sell complete kits for your MJ... :idea:

here's couple pis of mine. i did a 5" in the front front a cherokee and a soa in the rear. the tires (for winter) are 265-75's it will clear 33's though. if thats what you are going for.

Haha that was a funny one. Put the lift in the week before so the next monday at school i parked on my friends 33'. the school didnt like it to much. Sorry about the pic it was taken with a phone.

:hijack:

:eek: Coool-ell! Thanks for quick post back. Excellent looking rig dude. Different paint scheme so that's cool too and make you stand out. So those are your winter tires? Do you run something different summertime then I assume? My eagle eye detects a bit of shine on your right front wheel in your avatar, are those Canyons? I.e., need more pics if you have a second set of wheels/tires you run.

But, to shut down our thread hijack here, how bout going to the "Introduce your Comanche" sticky in The Pub and re-post all of your pics. Then Chico will come out of the kitchen and give you your O-fficial CC welcome. :chillin:

I have an 89 MJ. I am getting a 3 inch lift for Christmas ( God Bless). It will probally never see the off road, but to be on the safe side if it does, I would like to have the spring over axle conversion. Would that be a smart idea with the lift? This is a 15 mile per day driver. If so what size lift would need to be added to the front? Thanks Shane

The basic rule of thumb for a daily driver vehicle (unless your preference is to just look "big") should be to use the smallest lift necessary for the tires you will run and the terrain you will encounter. I ran my '88 with a 4" lift and 31s for several years and wheeled it all over New England and most of Paragon Offroad Park in Pennsylvania before that closed. I didn't really need even the 4" lift -- that's what was in it when I bought it. A 3" lift would have been fine for all the wheeling I did, and for street use I could have run the 31s with no lift at all.

4" was a nuisance, to be honest. At that height, getting into and out of the truck was breaking down the outside corner of the driver's seat. Once Paragon closed and the greenies started making things difficult for wheeling the Mohawk Trail area of Massachusetts, I took the lift out and I'm much happier driving the truck at stock height.

If you're getting a 3" lift -- get a 3" lift, don't allow a 3" lift to persuade you that you really "need" a 6" lift.