Braking issues

I blew my brakes this week. I had the work done by a local place (never should have done it, should always do myself, but I was on the road and did not have the tools). The front rotors were warped, so I had them turned. The rears were shot, so I had new drums put on, new pads and hardware. Well they put rear brakes on backwards...needless to say I drove 130 miles straight...I burned and warped the drums. They replaced the drums again...but did replace the pads (they said they were good...I do not believe them, but oh well). Anyway, I am having the same issues...the warping or it seems the brakes are still catching. Could my wheel cylinder be causing this or should my brake pads be replaced? I am getting to the point that I am really pissed about the work done and possible damage to any other parts associated with braking. Anybody with suggestions, I would love you for it. Thanks

Conan

The first thing I see is............

The front rotors were warped, so I had them turned.

If the rotors were warped, you don't turn them, you replace them, cause you just got clean cut warped rotors put back on the truck.

As you step on the brake peddle, you'll feel a thump, thump thru the peddle, and the pads will "grab" on the high spots of the warped rotor. For the $20+ for the rotors.........replace them.

If the shoes were installed backwards, it's hard to believe that you would warp the drums in 130 miles :hmm: The only thing that would cause is the rear brakes would not "grab" just right, both when you hit the brake peddle, or when you apply the parking brake. The rear shoe has a "longer" brake surface to enact the forward motion of the vehicle.

When they replaced the drums, you write......

They replaced the drums again...but did replace the pads

Did you mean the shoes???? Cause the pads are on the front. If the drums got warped from the shoes (they clam) then the shoes should have be replaced too.

Anyway, I am having the same issues...the warping or it seems the brakes are still catching

^^^See above about the warped rotors^^^

Generally, if a line brakes, it's a good time to 'rebuild' the entire brake hydraulic system (at least in my book) including new hard line, and soft lines, new wheel cylinders, New calipers, new rotors, new pads, new shoes, and New hardware kits. I know this can't always be done.....but why patch a line, and have another section blow out next week.

Just this past Tuesday, I went to pull out the driveway, and I lost the brakes on my cube van :eek: I back into the driveway, and checked underneath........and the right rear wheel cylinder was blown out.......fluid dripping all over the inner tire :fs1: So, I limped it over to the shop, and ended up replacing both wheel cylinders.......and while that was all apart, toss in a new set of shoes and a hardware set (springs) the lines I replace about 2 years ago, and they were still in good shape.......and the wheel cylinders were also 2 years old (I don't buy Napa any more :roll: ) Just all the effort to pull the dullies off and get to the wheel cylinder, I did a complete job while I was at it. Lost a day of work, but had the rear brakes redone for less than $80 :D

I would love you for it.

I would prefer you to just Like me.........OK :roll:

They turned the front rotors (were warped). They replaced the rear drums again because of the damage to them from installing incorrectly. They did not replace the shoes because they said they had plenty of life left on them. I am pretty sure this brake job went down the $#!&ter. Should I have them replace the front rotors with new ones and put new shoes on the rear? This is getting pretty ridiculous and it wasting my time with their inability to diagnose the problem or unwilling to admit they screwed me from the get go. Either way...what should I do to get back to normal braking?

It's kind of hard to say what you should do now................But...........

If they clam they installed the shoes wrong, and it caused the drums to warp, then the shoes should also be replaced with new ones.

The rotors should have never been turned, in fact, it cost about the same to turn a rotor as to the cost of a new one.........so if your having brake lock up in the front, have the 'turned' rotors replaced with new ones. I don't know any shops around me that will even turn rotors anymore, every one just replaces them with new ones.

You could also have a problem with the calipers, and that should be checked out too, the calipers are only about $22 each.

Get it to the point where your happy, when they get the job done, have the guy take a ride with you, and you can tell him if your happy or not.

Then, when you get to the point where your happy, the next time you need the brake lines replaced or a wheel cylinder done...........find the time and do it your self :D

If this is a local garage, and local guys, brakes are very basic item, and most any garage can do brakes........it's scary that the muffler shops also do brakes.........but :dunno: