Leaking axle tubes

I seem to have some gear oil coming out the end of my axle tubes on both sides of the front axle assembly.

It had this seepage once before when I first bought it. Didnt think anything of it. I took a mildly long trip, came home and parked it, went out the next day and noticed 2 small puddles on both sides right at the edge of the tires.

What's the dealio?

There are 2 main seal in the D30, one at the carrier on the left (drivers) side, and one on the out board right (passenger) side, past the CAD.

This Link covers upgrading the front U-joints, but it also covers the replacing of the seals.

The hard part is finding the correct seal for the right outboard, there are 2 different ones, and I would buy both listed seals, and match up the correct one, and re-turn the unused one.........yea, I got the wrong one the first time :doh:

It's not a real hard job, order all the seals you find listed, plan on the whole day to tear everything apart, and check everything else, and replace additional parts.......and then re-assemble the complete front end :roll:

Also...........the D30 only takes 3 pints of gear lub, and if over filled, it will leak out of the axle tube ends. This is a good time to replace the pinion seal too :yes:

There are 2 main seal in the D30, one at the carrier on the left (drivers) side, and one on the out board right (passenger) side, past the CAD.

This Link covers upgrading the front U-joints, but it also covers the replacing of the seals.

The hard part is finding the correct seal for the right outboard, there are 2 different ones, and I would buy both listed seals, and match up the correct one, and re-turn the unused one.........yea, I got the wrong one the first time :doh:

It's not a real hard job, order all the seals you find listed, plan on the whole day to tear everything apart, and check everything else, and replace additional parts.......and then re-assemble the complete front end :roll:

Also...........the D30 only takes 3 pints of gear lub, and if over filled, it will leak out of the axle tube ends. This is a good time to replace the pinion seal too :yes:

He's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol... Bout time you made time for CC. image_209027.gif

Yea......I'm alive :waving: .....and still busy :ack:

I make time to lurk.......a few minuets in the morning :yes:

Stay warm buddy! :thumbsup:

I mean, I know its pretty dang cold down here, so I don't even want to phantom the temps up your way... cold.gif

Hopefully your axle tube isn't bent. After a wheeling trip, my passenger front side started leaking. I thought nothing of it, thought maybe the seal had started to go out. When I took it in to have gears/locker set up in the front, I was told the housing was bent. Sure enough, I looked at it, and you could eyeball the bend, just beyond the CAD.

Good luck :cheers: