Two small brake questions

1. My MJ is a 86. It had the 2.8 in it when i got it, now i have a 90 4.0L under the hood. Is there any difference between the 86 modell front brakes and thoose that came with the 90 4.0L?? If so what year did they change? Need to know because I'm going to safety inspection soon (should have been done in april :shake: ) and local laws state that if you have increased engine power by more than 15% you must have documentation that the brakes can handle the power.

2. My e-brake works on only one wheel and i think it would be a good idea to replace the shoes and other hardware. I have searched both quadratech and summit but none of them have brake parts for MJ's with amc20 rear end. Is there any other more common jeeps models that uses the same brake parts as my MJ?

By the way, its friday and :cheers: to you all!

I think the brakes were only different on the rear depending on the axle; I think the fronts are the same but not positive.

Try Rockauto.com for the e brake parts. If they aren't listed on the site send them an email. great prices and service.

The '90 front brakes are actually worse than the '86.

1990 was the first year for the new, composite rotors. They provide no better stopping power, but they are MUCH more likely to warp, and those were the rotors that were the object of a massive recall because the sheet metal "hat" portion was rusting away and leaving Jeeps with no front brakes.

In addition, all the related parts are different due to offset dimensions. I've posted the parts compatibility list several times. To change to 1990 brakes on an '86 you have to either eplace the entire front axle, or replace the knuckles, hubs, calipers and rotors. That's a lot of work to go through in exchange for inferior brakes.

I am not certain, but I strongly suspect that the rear brakes for the AMC 20 axle are the same as the parts for the Dana 44 with 10" x 2-1/2" drums.

I overlooked the part of your post about documenting the brakes. All you need is a parts listing -- the brakes for an 88 or 89 4.0L are the exact same brake parts as for an 86 2.5L and 2.8L. More than likely Brent (BLHTAZ) could provide you with a factory parts manual exploded view of the front brakes with the accompanying part numbers, which would show that both years and all engines used the same brakes from 86 thru 89.