Saginaw Tilt Steering Column

Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. I purchased a tilt steering column off Ebay for a reasonable price from a guy called "Jeepclub206". The column was described as being in good shape, and from the pictures it appeared so. I mean, for 40 bucks I couldn't go wrong...right?

Anyway, I get the critter installed and find that the truck starts when the key is turned backwards towards the ACC position. When I removed the key, I could hear the fuel pump running, and on a whim turned the cylinder without the key in it and the truck started!!! (I have since unplugged the ignition harness to avoid running the battery down).

I disassembled the column down to the cylinder, and installed a spare that is known to be good. I also checked the ignition module (further down the column) but it was installed correctly. In the disassembly it became apparent (by rough tool marks and damage) that someone has already been in the column, and reset the gears incorrectly.

I can see the gears to the ignition rod, and where then engage the cylinder, but cannot reset them as I have no information on rebuilding this column. I also cannot find the special tool to remove the pivot pins,(Jeep tool number J21854-01, which supposedly keeps the tilt pins from flying out and embedding themselves in your chin).

Does anyone have data (or ideally an FSM) on rebuilding these columns? I do have the general FSM from Jeep, and it does go through disassembly and re-assembly but not how to set the gears. Also, does anyone have knowledge of the jeep tool, or a possible work-around?

Thanks in advance

To pull the tilt pins just get a couple of 2" or so machine screws/bolts. Whatever size screws fit the hole in the pin. run a couple nuts down the screw & put a couple washers on it. Stick this thru a small short socket just a tad bit bigger than the dia. of the pin. Screw it into the pin . Hold the screw from turning with vise grips and crank the lil nuts down together & shaaazam the pin pulls into the socket & its out. I've done this a couple times & it works well. Don't waste your money on the GM tool. It helps to hit the pins with a shot of PB Blaster a head of time also.