Things were better on Dirt Roads...

BLHTAZ

There's a difference between dirt roads and unpaved roads. The art of an unpaved road is to take it fast, fly over the bumps, and see how big a dust trial you can make. The side ways travel even when going straight is fun too and the subtle drifts on curves.

Dirt roads are just too full of wash outs and sink holes. Probably the last unpaved road in my county was paved last year. The other end of my road.

I did most of my growing up and learned how to drive in Ontario. Highways are paved, but all the hundreds of county and township roads are gravel.

I fondly remember the dust trail, the sliding through turns and the sideways travel as you push the limit.

I also remember the back of the car being solid grey with dust to where the tail lights were not visible and you couldn't see out the rear window.

Actual dirt roads I have seen in northern Ontario, and when I first moved here in Ohio. You had to be VERY careful in my Olds 98 because if you dropped a tire in the wrong washout you'd be stuck sitting on the frame. Some fun mud holes on the road too, at least in my Suburban. Had to be careful in my Ford, though, as the distributor sat on the front of the engine. Bad design as it was easy to get it wet.

The last one of those here in Ohio got redone last year. Now a smooth gravel road.