Fitting Headlight Stone Guards

Inspired by this thread in Classifieds: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11876 I ordered up a set of stone guards, and started the install last night. They appear reasonably well made BTW.

Finding that one headlight retaining ring was only held on by two screws (and thus only two clips could be fitted) I'll be delayed until I have a chance to find a couple of replacement machine screws (plus a few others for the trim screws that inevitably broke rather than coming loose). The guards won't install securely unless all four clips are in place.

But, based on the poor blurry image on the back of the stone guard package, it appears that the clips should be installed under the retaining ring so that they protrude from between the headlight bulb and the retaining ring. Is this correct? The written instructions are silent on this point. If I install them that way, the straight portion of the clip doesn't conform to the right angle of the retaining ring (where it wraps around the bulb), and thus the ring is torqued out of shape and the ring-to-bulb fitting is very poor.

Is it possible that the clips should instead protrude out above and below the ring? This would cure the torquing problem, but doesn't appear correct from the drawing.

Anyone have a pic showing a proper install?

Thanks

I don't have a pic at ths time but what your assuming is correct...theres a bit of pressure needed to make those clips fit with the ring, the clips will break without much bending force so don't try and bend them much at all....in the end though it all looks the same and your headlight aim is not effected if thats what your concern is

I don't have a pic at ths time but what your assuming is correct...theres a bit of pressure needed to make those clips fit with the ring, the clips will break without much bending force so don't try and bend them much at all....in the end though it all looks the same and your headlight aim is not effected if thats what your concern is

Thanks!

I wasn't worried about the aim, as I know that is determined by the bulb fitting into the mounting pod.

And the clips aren't really bending much; its the ring that is torqued out of shape somewhat where it passes over the clip. But the poor fit of the retaining ring with the clips in place looks "unsanitary" (to use the old custom car phrase).

For what it's worth, I've had those stone guards for years now and the stock mounting system lasted all of a month or so. I gave up on it and eventually used black household exterior silicone to "glue" the guards to the headlights. Haven't had a problem since and the silicone makes it possible to peel the guard off and re"glue" it to the new headlight when one burns out.

For what it's worth, I've had those stone guards for years now and the stock mounting system lasted all of a month or so. I gave up on it and eventually used black household exterior silicone to "glue" the guards to the headlights. Haven't had a problem since and the silicone makes it possible to peel the guard off and re"glue" it to the new headlight when one burns out.

Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

BTW are your halogen lamps? Is heat any issue?