Winching

So we learned something last weekend about winching that was pretty amazing, yet I still don't understand how it worked. Here is the story:

I was buried in a mud hole and had to be winched out. One of the CJ's that I was wheeling with hooked on to me with his Warn and tried to pull me out. All that was happening was that he got pulled toward me. One of ther other guys that was with us said that tow truck drivers use a snatch-block when this happens which fools the winch into thinking the winch vehecle is twice as heavy as the stuck one. We had our doubts but thought we would give it a shot. To our disbelief it worked. I still don't understand how it worked.

So if you ever have this problem, give it a shot.

a snatch-block and tree saver compound the power of the winch in two. wrap the tree-saver around an item (tree, sturdy solid rock, etc.), hook up the snatch-block, run the cable through it and around to the vehicle to be towed, secure the vehicle doing the winching, and winch her back.

purty simple...it's a method that probably helped create stonehenge

So we learned something last weekend about winching that was pretty amazing, yet I still don't understand how it worked. Here is the story:

I was buried in a mud hole and had to be winched out. One of the CJ's that I was wheeling with hooked on to me with his Warn and tried to pull me out. All that was happening was that he got pulled toward me. One of ther other guys that was with us said that tow truck drivers use a snatch-block when this happens which fools the winch into thinking the winch vehecle is twice as heavy as the stuck one. We had our doubts but thought we would give it a shot. To our disbelief it worked. I still don't understand how it worked.

So if you ever have this problem, give it a shot.

Its a very simple "pulley" system, works by doubling the torque, but dividing the speed.

Nope,it takes half the force.

A snatch block effectively doubles the winches pulling force,

if the cable goes straight out and staight back.

Think of a block and tackle.Same principle.

I carry one,you should too.

They ain't cheap,but they'll get you out of

trouble.