cranky fuel pump - stalling

Does anyone know what regulates the pump coming on momentarily in the "on" position, then stopping, and coming back on during cranking? Not sure that's my problem but I think this is a more complicated circuit than the diagrams are showing. I'm tempted to take it to a mechanic, which would be the first time since I've owned it. I hate doing it, and I am new to my town, so I don't trust anybody. There was a great electrical guy near where my parents live, but that's 40 miles away, and would involve a AAA tow, so half a day!

:mad:

Doesn't the fuel pressure regulator shut down the pump after the initial prime? As to the crank, the START circuit completely bypasses the ballast resistor and provides full 12-volt power to the fuel pump for starting. Once you release the key to the RUN position, it goes back to the normal circuit and routes power through the ballast resistor.

Just an update. This is getting hairy. I wired 12v to the pump and it ran continuously, filled a gallon container pretty quickly. I can't understand how 12V can get to the pump, the pump runs on 12V from a jumper, but the two things won't simultaneously happen.

I got so fed up, I did the unheard of : Dropped it at a shop. It's a place that does inspections, so I thought I'd get the "slap a sticker" and be ok to drive for 2 years. I won't pass NJ inspection with the tires out past the flares (until I put the aftermarkets on), but at the shop it will pass the sniffer, and they'll likely let me cruise through.

Pretty ashamed about dropping it off, but I was stumped and frustrated. The tech isn't having an easy time of it either, but what upset me when he called today is that he said 'your electric fan isn't working, it keeps overheating!' Naturally, with about 25 miles on the truck, I was pissed. The electric fan was working fine before it went into the shop. He claims he turned it off at 260, but I'm going to be watching the truck very closely after it gets back home.

:headpop: :mad: :nuts: