Hard Brake Pedal

I need the brake Gurus on this one.

I have a 1989 2WD Comanche Sport Truck with a 2.5L and power brakes.

My problem is that when I depress the brake pedal, it seems harder than it should for power assist brakes. There is plenty of vacuum at the booster. I checked the booster by pressing the brake pedal while starting the engine. When the engine starts, the pedal drops about 1 to 1-1/2 inches, which would seem to indicate that the booster is working. The truck stops o.k., but as I said, the pedal is hard, almost like the booster is not working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

I need the brake Gurus on this one.

I have a 1989 2WD Comanche Sport Truck with a 2.5L and power brakes.

My problem is that when I depress the brake pedal, it seems harder than it should for power assist brakes. There is plenty of vacuum at the booster. I checked the booster by pressing the brake pedal while starting the engine. When the engine starts, the pedal drops about 1 to 1-1/2 inches, which would seem to indicate that the booster is working. The truck stops o.k., but as I said, the pedal is hard, almost like the booster is not working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom, on my 89 2wd the pedal was hard too, until I stomped on the pedal real hard with truck off. What it did was reset the proportional valve. I guess you could try that, and check your check valve..

Thanks, JT. I tried that, and it seemed to help some. The pedal still only moves about 2-3 inches before I can't press it any more. I assume that the check valve you are referring to is the plastic ell between the vacuum hose and the brake booster. If so, that is where I checked the vacuum. They are not expensive, though, so I am going to replace it.

Thanks,

Tom

I replaced the vacuum hose check valve at the booster with no change. The pedal is still hard but acceptable. The truck stops, which is a plus, but the pedal still does not act like I have power brakes. Just used to my full size Bronco, I guess.

Did the hard pedal occur all at once or has it been like that since day 1? If it happened all at once, the booster's prolly fubar. Now's a good time for the 95-96 booster/master, si?

I think it has been that way since I owned it. X2 on the booster - sounds like a winner. Thanks

I got to thinking, and the truck sat in a field for two years before I bought it. The actuator rod (?) may have a rust band on it which would not allow it to move fully. The diaphragm is working or the pedal would not go down when the engine is cranked, but the rod is only working partially. Does this make sense? When I put the new one in, I will take the old one apart and see.