weird door alignment

i thought at first my drivers side door just need new weatherstripping, but the more i looked i realized it's all there. but, there's a gap that allows water in constantly. and, as some may know, in so fla during the summer, it rains all the time. fortunately i don't have carpet, just that weird black rubber stuff. my guess is to put some stripping on the door itself too, and not just the jam.

loosen up the door bolts on the hinge , just enough to be able to move it around, then tighten them back up a little so there is some friction on the adjustment plates. Now shut the door, push on the top and side edges, then very carefully, so as not to move the spacing at all, open the door and retighten the bolts. Shut it and see if it is better. I take the doors off my cherokee in the summer, and I usually have to do this a few times in order to get them lined back up. It may help to have someone inside the truck to help you know when it is lined up, and to open the door again.

You can also udgrade to 97+ whether stripping from an XJ; its thicker. I just did this because my old stuff was all torn up and it made a big difference in the way they seal and with road noise. You have to pull the doors closed a little harder.

My '88 leaks on the driver's side -- but only when it rains. I adjusted the door, tweaked the weatherstripping, and it still leaks. It's coming in through the firewall, near the fuse panel. But I haven't been able to pinpoint the location, so I can't get it stopped.

Your problem *MAY* not be the door at all.

If it is coming thru the door for sure and it not coming in due to a bad seal, open your door stand on the inside pull window frame ( carefully towards you ) bending in a little bit . The best way to check is take a dollar bill put it over the seal close door on it to see if it fitting tight or not then do the bending after you see if it is loose . If it is coming around the windshield have glass Co. cut it out make sure there are no holes other than the 2 drain holes in the bottom corners , may have pin holes rusting around bottom of windshield in the recess . Don 't use silicon around your windshield it will also hold water in and make problem worse . Good luck

This is also happening to my drivers side door, I'm pretty sure its just the alignment of the hinges because the door are ones I swapped in from my parts truck, and I also have them set up to be removeable so sometime in the process I probably misaligned them. I'm going to have to tackle the soon cause I usually have a puddle on my drives side floor when it rains, and I sprayed it with a hose the the water went right in and soaked everything, there must be a huge gap.

I plan to take off the fender and loosen up the hinges then close the door and push on it till it seals up, then tighten the bolts through the hinge. Hopefully this will work, if not then I guess I will have to try to bend the frame in.

Jonathan

This is also happening to my drivers side door, I'm pretty sure its just the alignment of the hinges because the door are ones I swapped in from my parts truck, and I also have them set up to be removeable so sometime in the process I probably misaligned them. I'm going to have to tackle the soon cause I usually have a puddle on my drives side floor when it rains, and I sprayed it with a hose the the water went right in and soaked everything, there must be a huge gap.

I plan to take off the fender and loosen up the hinges then close the door and push on it till it seals up, then tighten the bolts through the hinge. Hopefully this will work, if not then I guess I will have to try to bend the frame in.

Jonathan

Did you get your door to line up? I have this same problem and I can't get it right. I really don't want to pull the fender off but if it works I'm ready to give it a try.

Jonathan

Did you get your door to line up? I have this same problem and I can't get it right. I really don't want to pull the fender off but if it works I'm ready to give it a try.

I have not tried it yet, tomorrow I have off so I plan on doing some stuff on my truck, I have to cut out for the rear fenders, and clean up a set of leaf packs, but if it get those done or get frustrated I will give the door alignment a try, my header panel is already off so taking off the fender will not be that hard.

Jonathan