New member here, two questions:

Hello folks,

I'm new here, so this post will be an introduction and I'll ask a couple of questions.

My name is Austin and I'm from southeastern Michigan, Ann Arbor area. I just picked up a 1986 Comanche longbed, 2.5 liter, 5-speed, 2WD. I got it for a decent price, and it runs and drives real well. It's not my primary vehicle, I just plan on using it when the snow is too tall for my Miata and for when I need to carry stuff that I can't fit in the car. It has three issues that I would like to deal with before I start using it too much:

1. It is missing a wheel stud on the right rear. There are four studs attached, but the fifth is sitting in the glovebox. It doesn't affect how the truck drives or handles, but I prefer my wheels to be attached fully. A local shop quoted me $7 for the part and about an hour of labor, which works out to be in the neighborhood of $100. Is this something that I could do myself, or would it be worth it spending the hundred bucks and having it done for me? I've never attached a stud, so I don't know what is involved.

2. It leaks oil. I haven't figured out where it's leaking from quite yet, but I would certainly like to fix this, if at all possible. Where are the most common spots for these trucks to leak? Obviously, I'll check the obvious areas, but I want to be sure I don't overlook anything.

3. Mushy brake pedal. The truck stops perfectly fine, and the pedal holds pressure once the brakes are applied, but the brakes don't do anything until the pedal is quite close to the floor. It makes a hissing noise, too, while pressing the pedal, which is odd. I'll bleed the lines to see if that helps at all, but what might the hissing noise be?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been lurking around for the past few days and this looks like a good community.

-Austin

Ok welcome over here and lets see what we can do

Bleeding the brakelines is always good

from time to time you should change the fluid at all, every 2 years is what mechanics say here .

could be too you need new pads or even discs( front) and drums ( rear)

Oil leaks i know from the 4 l engine are most time the seal at the engine going to the transmission, or from the top, rear. best is go to a wash place and clean the whole engine compartment and the underside of youre transmission, and then check whre the oil is to bee seen first.

about the stud? i´m sorry i do not reallly understand the problem,so i can't help you about that

a Question from me to you

Are you really sure the 2 wd is the right car for youre winter?

i mean most people look for 4 wheel drives at wintertime

2WD will be fine for winter. I threw some good snow tires on my Mazda Miata last year and it handled the winter just fine. The only times I had trouble were when we got more than five inches of snow and my road was not yet plowed in the morning. A little more ground clearance would have helped, and the Jeep has it. The Jeep also has a longer wheelbase and a hardtop, which means that it should be a much better winter vehicle than the Miata.

Oh, and it's a 2.5 litre, not the 4.0.

Thanks for your reply.

I absolutely LOVED my 88 in the winter back when it was a lowly 2wd/stick. Used to stay up late or wake up early to go out and play before the plows came by. :D A good set of tires and some secured weight in the back (and at least half a brain to keep your speeds under control) and you'll be fine. The snow here in southeast Michigan rarely approaches 4wd-needing depths.

I recommend taking the truck to Belle Tire and having them do a free inspection. And changing a stud does NOT take an hour.

Jeep on!

--Pete

You can easily change the broken stud yourself. Remove the brake drum and beat the broken stud out with a hammer and punch. Insert the new stud from the back side of the wheel flange and pull it through with the lug nut and washers.

$100 :roll: :lol:

Ooh, yeah, now this is the sort of reply I'm looking for! Thanks a ton! That sounds like a piece of cake to do. I'll have to pick up a new stud tomorrow. 8)

Changing that stud is a piece of cake....go to your local parts store and pick one up...all you'll have to do is pull the drum off..and put the new one in (after knocking out the old one if broken)...should take less than 15 minutes to do and $10 at the most