Towing Capacity

hi gang, just wondered if I could tow an old tractor home with my 'Manche--its a '91 6-banger 4wd, lwb, ax-15--its got a heavy duty home made steel bumber with hitch receiver on it, and heavy duty springs. the tractor weighs about 4000lbs. don't know the trailor weight but its tandem axle. thanks--brian :Canadaflag: :cheers: :USAflag:

Off hand........I would say........NO Way!!!

The tractor is about 1000 pounds heaver than the MJ, plus the weight of the trailer (+/- 1200#), plus, the MJ is only like 6 foot wide, and most tandem trailers are 8 foot wide, wheel/out/wheel.

And the FSM mentions for a class III hitch (factory), Maximum gross weight of 5,000 pounds for the trailer, with a maximum tongue weight of 750 pounds.

With - trailer sway control, trailer wire harness, heavy duty axle, heavy duty cooling system, heavy duty alternator/battery, auxiliary automatic transmission fluid cooler........and......4.0 engine.

Plus anything that big......I wouldn't tow with out trailer brakes.

I would leave this up to the bigger 3/4 ton trucks ;)

:agree: Yeah, and technically a 5 spd is rated for 4000 lbs, auto 5000 lbs.

If it was thirty minutes away, I personally might say do it, with extra caution of course. But as Wildman said, w/out trailer brakes, you're practically going downhill at all times.

I'd tow it with my 1/2 ton Suburban (350), but it's pretty much the same suspension and drive train as a 3/4 ton pu truck. And that would be at the limit of what I'd tow with it. Anything over 6000 pounds I usually borrow a buddy's 1 ton with a 454.

I agree that it'd be not a good idea to even contemplate towing it that distance with a Comanche. If it were 4 miles, maybe. 4 hours? No way! I believe a Comanche with the 4.0 is rated at 5000 pounds using an equalizing hitch in a class III receiver, but IMHO factory ratings are overly optimistic. I personally wouldn't tow more than 4000 pounds with it, and nothing over 2000 without trailer brakes.

I have pulled some crazy loads with mine WELL over the capacity the factory stamped on it. I guess it all depends on how safe YOU feel and how much you are willing to put on your truck. I fix mine almost weekly where i have broke something working it to hard. My last trip to the scrap yard the truck trailer and load weighed in at just under 10.500 lbs and it handled it fine as long as i didnt try to run it hard. I just ease down the road and take my time and leave PLENTY of room for stopping but if something pulls out in front of you unexpectedly your gonna find out how well your insurance company handles things.