Harmonic Balancer Swap

Hey Guys,

So I have been noticing a belt squeak on my '90 MJ and I decided to investigate it. I opened the hood with the engine running and noticed the Harmonic Balancer on the crank was turning in an un-true wobbly fashion and making my belt move back and forth with every turn.

After shutting the engine off, a quick look at it again reveled that some portions of the rubber on the balancer were either already protruding or missing from it. So I decided that I needed to replace it.

Question is: I have a parts 4.0L engine with one still on it and I am wondering how they come off of the engine. Will I need a puller to get it off? Also, will I be able to replace the one that I have with the engine still in the truck? (I'm hoping this one is a yes...)

The part that I am referring to is listed on this website as #43

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cherokee/E ... LowerC.htm

- Brent

You will need a puller to remove both of them. It will be a three bolt steering wheel type of puller. I recommend spraying penetrating oil in the threaded holes in the balancers as they will probably be a bit rusty. Make sure the threaded rod of the puller has something to push against in the crank snout.

I also recommend using an installer to put it back on. Although thousands of guy have just tapped it on with a hammer. Up to you.

As for doing it in the Jeep, it can be done, but it is tight. Be careful you don't put holes in the radiator! :D

Here's a writeup with a couple of pics of when I replaced the timing chain on my 2.5......which involves pulling the HB. Considering there's a lot less clearance between the front of the engine and the radiator on a 4.0 vs. a 2.5, I'd recommend you pull the rad like I did. I didn't "have to", but I did just to be safe.....I'd think with a 4.0 you'd almost have to pull it to install the puller.

HTH,

Jeff

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... ming+chain

Also, will I be able to replace the one that I have with the engine still in the truck? (I'm hoping this one is a yes...)

I was able to replace the balancer with the engine in the truck. I removed the radiator to gain access. I'm not even sure if there is enough room to get a puller in there and take the balancer off with the radiator still in.

Willy

Before you pull them both make sure they look identical. Their was a difference in them among years.

Got it covered. Both engines are the '90 model year breed. ;) Never even thought about the possibility of a difference in them though, thanks for letting me know about it.