Detroit Truetrac

I have a Detroit TT in the front (D30) and a 8.8 with factory LS in the rear.

In normal driving it is all but invisable.

Winter driving is fantastic with only minor qurks (just about unstoppable in snow). Icy conditions are where it may be noticable, but only minor.

It is not a locker, but for a mostly street truck I am very happy.

Just for referance, My D30 is permanently engaged also.

We have one in our D30 in our '95 YJ. It works pretty well, but it is not a locker (as stated) and I hate it for rock crawling. It has been through quite a few places and we have always made it, but it has not always been able to pull with both tires in some situations that we really needed it to.

You will love it if you are not a crawler though :cheers:

There was a saying about the detroit ECTEDs 'At least it functions like a true-trac when it stops working'.

True-tracs are a pretty good unit for a mild wheeler that sees street, winter conditions, and occasional wheeling. I still have one on the shelf to go into whatever I deem worthy of it (the current XJ probably, if things go downhill like the will). I like them way more than a clutch-pack LSD, as once they get hot they don't work at all. Which typically happens if you're spinning your tires trying to get through something.

But if you're to wheel it hard or often, buy a real locker.

We have one in our D30 in our '95 YJ. It works pretty well, but it is not a locker (as stated) and I hate it for rock crawling. It has been through quite a few places and we have always made it, but it has not always been able to pull with both tires in some situations that we really needed it to.

You will love it if you are not a crawler though :cheers:

Well shoot, that's what I needed it for. That's the best wheeling there is in Colorado.

This isn't necessarily a daily driver, but I do need to drive it to and from trails, and so spools are out. I am putting a Detroit in my rear D44. What would be a good match up front? An E-locker of some type?

I personally would go with an OX, but they are pricey. I don't like electric or air lockers...too many possible issues. I have a friend that runs lock-rites and they perform much better than the Tru-Trac. He actually competes in the WE-Rock circuit with them in one of his rigs. If you look at that site, he is currently #5 ranked in the Mod. Stock Class. ;)