clutch or slave or both are gone.

was just quoted over 1000 $ for cluth and slave re n re. I'm not getting any chatter or slipping and the slave is internal so mechanic says do clutch while ur there --- but over a grand !!! his shop rate is 75$/hr but the parts are expensive. -lookin 4 ideas 4 options. ty to any and all who reply.

I agree with the mechanic on replacing the clutch if your in there, Murphy's law says that if you just replace the slave a week after you put it back together the clutch will start to act up. The clutch itself is actually pretty cheap in comparison to the slave cylinder, I just did it in mine about a year ago.

Secondly it is a pretty time consuming job so that estimate is not unruly at all if you are going to pay someone to do it. Get a few other estimates and see if there are major variations in price.

Parts for a 4.0L with internal slave cost me (IIRC) about $250 a couple of years ago. That included the clutch (disc and pressure plate), new factory slave cylinder and new factory master cylinder. The price you're being quoted sounds rather on the high side, but remember that dropping the tranns and tranfer case out of a 4x4 is a lot more work than doing a clutch in a simple 2WD automobile.