FAQ Stickie

maddzz1

The other day in a thread someone mentioned a FAQ stickie. Like: what tires fit what lift?, What year XJ parts are compatible?

Is there a way to start this? Maybe a thread of suggestion questions with answers and then a cut and paste into a stickie?

Anybody else have opinions on this? The stickie should be locked so only mods can add to it to avoid a bunch of clutter.

So far in my experience, 3 issues pop up when dealing with stickies.

1: Nobody ever seems to read the stickies.

2: Everybody's situations are slightly different and inevitably things that sound like they should be "universal truths" will turn out to be not-so-much.

3: Listing those things anyways would result in a FAQ that is astronomically huge (and might be why nobody ever reads the stickies).

:thumbsup:

So far in my experience, 3 issues pop up when dealing with stickies.

1: Nobody ever seems to read the stickies.

2: Everybody's situations are slightly different and inevitably things that sound like they should be "universal truths" will turn out to be not-so-much.

3: Listing those things anyways would result in a FAQ that is astronomically huge (and might be why nobody ever reads the stickies).

:thumbsup:

I know that they are not a cure-all, but some really easy things can be in the stickies and still be pretty usefull.

Look at how they can be both forces of good AND evil...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation ... 95-1999-6/

I moderate that forum, and I am pretty confident that through the search feature, 95% of questions about that model of vehicle (95-99 Missan Maxima) can be answered somewhere in those sticky threads...but finding the info can be a challenge, even with a robust search function. The info is there, but we got int SO MUCH info that it is almost too big to use. And it is really tough to maintain!

Anyway, my thoughts on having one here are to limit it to some basic stuff:

How large of a tire can I fit at stock height?

What is the stock bolt pattern for wheels?

WTF do I do about this floor rot?!?

Can I fit bucket seats/full console in my MJ? (include links to the How-to threads)

How can I fix my faulty interior lights? (Include link to the replacement thread, the cleaning the stock lights thread, and the add XJ underdash lights threads)

Can I replace my dash cluster with full or 3/4 gauges? (You get the picture on the links)

What size are the stock speakers? What sizes can I fit in the stock locations?

How can I run wiring from the engine compartment into the cabin?

I can't think of many more, mostly because I am new here as well, though I am not at all new to Jeeps. Point is, FAQs would help a lot of people, but require a lot of work to maintain. Look at what mess my FAQs have become- and I spent over a full week wasting time at work cleaning them up in 2007, and have maintained them monthly.

Unfortunately, the answer to most of those questions will be "depends", and then we'd ask the owner what his/her goals and skills are and then we can skew our answers to meet their specific needs.

Besides, I like talking to the new guys/gals. :thumbsup:

Just my opinion, but... Stickies are EVIL! I hate boards like that Maxima page that you have to scroll past a long list of stickies too get to the real conversations. I Admin on one board and have been a Mod on several others and I have always been against making a bunch of stickies. A sticky should be for something of temporary imortance and then removed in a short time. If there are threads that you want to keep track of, do like I do and make a folder in your favorites to put bookmarked threads in for quick reference :cheers:

Just my opinion, but... Stickies are EVIL! I hate boards like that Maxima page that you have to scroll past a long list of stickies too get to the real conversations. I Admin on one board and have been a Mod on several others and I have always been against making a bunch of stickies. A sticky should be for something of temporary imortance and then removed in a short time. If there are threads that you want to keep track of, do like I do and make a folder in your favorites to put bookmarked threads in for quick reference :cheers:

Yeah, my next project is to UN-stick most of them (on the maxima board) and put all of the links to those massive posts in one thread.

I just think that some really frequently asked questions can have quick-reference posts where people can build basic knowledge, then use that to ask more educated (and specific) questions. A noobie (like me) won't have those threads saved like you will, and will not even know where to start.

Just my opinion.

Yea...I didn't think of it before, but that is what we use the DIY forum for here. It is starting to fill with things that cover the items you are talking about and if they are not in there, then I guess we need to find a way to get them there ;) :thumbsup:

There is a thread in the Tech forum right now titled "Dash Removal" that has some great info in it an I believe that it should be moved to the DIY forum to be kept track of. I did my usual and bookmarked it for me too as I need to do a heater core sometime and I will want that info :yes: