is there supposed to be a gasket between headers and downpipe?

I saw this item on Amazon and wonder if I'm supposed to use it. There was not one between my downpipe and header when I initially took it off but that doesn't mean I don't need one. 

http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-60745-Gasket/dp/B000C2ADSK/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1440680586&vehicle=1989-42-348-334--31-8--3363-244-8-2---7-0&sr=1-5&ymm=1989%3Ajeep%3Acomanche&pebp=1440680595126&perid=17H8GBPRD8HXE5TWJ2VJ

FEL-60745.jpg

I'm glad I saw this thread. :cheers:   I had a slight ticking noise after my jeep warmed up and wasn't sure where it was. I checked the exhaust header collector flange where it mates to the down pipe elbow, and sure enough it was leaking a bit. Gasket ordered.....

5980.jpg

And, obviously, chrome or polished stainless. We wouldn't expect any less, Don.

Heh-heh. That's what it looked like 40K-50K miles ago. Sure doesn't look like that now. It's mellowed out to old cookie sheet brown now.

rectangle-magnet-board-2.jpg?w=300&h=225

check to see if yours isn't stuck on the end of the manifold, it's probably there.

I had one there but it was pretty chewed up from so many install/uninstalls from my slave changes. I replaced with a new one last night and my exhaust ticking is gone.