all wheel drive jeep

I have a NP242 in my Comanche. Four wheel/All wheel drive launches are fun until a tire on each axle starts slipping.

I've never driven a 242 equipped Jeep. What happens when a tire slips? Does the AWD system go crazy?

My MJ has a 242 as well, i keep it in Full time all the time.  I also have an Aussie locker in the rear D44, no issues as of yet.

That or use the np249 out of the full time Grand Cherokees. Only downside to those is you don't get a true 4low because of the viscous coupling, which is also the most common and most expensive failure part in them (which is why it's not in my GC anymore)

The 249 in 97 and 98 Grands has a locking viscous coupler, that locks the front and rear together in 4 low.

The viscous coupling goes bad after a time and is VERY expensive to replace. That is why a lot of 249s get replaced with a 242 when (not if) it goes bad.

That was the case with my Grand Cherokee and why I have a 249 now sitting in my garage with nothing to do

That or use the np249 out of the full time Grand Cherokees. Only downside to those is you don't get a true 4low because of the viscous coupling, which is also the most common and most expensive failure part in them (which is why it's not in my GC anymore)

The 249 in 97 and 98 Grands has a locking viscous coupler, that locks the front and rear together in 4 low.

The viscous coupling goes bad after a time and is VERY expensive to replace. That is why a lot of 249s get replaced with a 242 when (not if) it goes bad.

I understand that, and I don't disagree, I was just commenting that there is a locking version of the 249 out there.  I would never put one in anything I owned though.