A/C conversion snag...

Picked up one of the simple kits to convert and recharge my a/c. Pretty simple after purging the system, just screw on the new adaptors to the service ports and charge with 134. Well, I assume this is the same for everybody, but the damn svc ports are on the back of the compressor and so close to each other that the friggin connector for the refridgerent won't go on! :mad: Heading to Advance to see if there is a slimmer refridgerent connector, any suggestions?

I figured there would be. Went to Advanced and Lowes with no luck on that. The 134 fittings are fatter than a std quick connect so just need to find a 90 degree 134 fitting. I'm getting ready to search for some, although I at least put together a backup plan tonight. Advanced sells a basic hose with no gauge and the quick connect end is slimmer than the one that came in the kit. they let me test fit and sho'nuff it barely slid on. So at Lowe's I got some couplers and a gauge to rig it up. I'd still like to find the 90 degree fittings though.

I have done this conversion on an 87 xj and 88 Mj with very good sucsess. You will need the 90 degree compressor fittings to be able to fill the system. In addition I installed a new dryer and removed the compressor to be able to completly remove all the old oil from it and since the system was open I used copressed air to blow out the lines too. Once everything is back togueter everithing works like advertised, it's been 4 years in the xj and 2 years on the mj!!!! good luck.