transmission questions

My 2.5 rebuild is almost out of the shop, and I'll begin the process of bolting it back up. I got a 2.5 out of a 70K '01 Cherokee from the junkyard, hopefully it's good! :eek:

3 questions about the trans. One is the input shaft. It's sludgy looking, and doesn't move in and out as smoothly as I'd like it to. What is the process of cleaning and lubricating this for use? Any solvents I should avoid?

Can I use the same clutch from an 87 to 2002 AX-5?

Lastly, I'm going from internal slave to external. I'm going to have to buy the slave, but will the rest of the plumbing still be the same?

This is foreign territory for me; I want to bolt up the trans and engine and drop them in at the same time. I want to have the trans ready to go at that time, so I don't have to do any arm-breaking work once it's in.

THANKS!

Tom

:popcorn:

I'd clean the input with regular degreaser, lube the splines with regular grease. Not certain on the clutch and housing, but I would *@$$*ume they would be the same....check a parts house to see if the same clutch kit is listed for both vehicles.

For the external slave, you're also going to need the fork and pivot ball, as well as a new front bearing retainer (part that the input shaft goes into inside the BH). The inside diameters of the throwout bearings differ between the internal and external one.

Jeff

My 2.5 rebuild is almost out of the shop, and I'll begin the process of bolting it back up. I got a 2.5 out of a 70K '01 Cherokee from the junkyard, hopefully it's good! :eek:

3 questions about the trans. One is the input shaft. It's sludgy looking, and doesn't move in and out as smoothly as I'd like it to. What is the process of cleaning and lubricating this for use? Any solvents I should avoid?

Can I use the same clutch from an 87 to 2002 AX-5?

Lastly, I'm going from internal slave to external. I'm going to have to buy the slave, but will the rest of the plumbing still be the same?

This is foreign territory for me; I want to bolt up the trans and engine and drop them in at the same time. I want to have the trans ready to go at that time, so I don't have to do any arm-breaking work once it's in.

THANKS!

Tom

:popcorn:

I doubt it. The internal slave and external slave had different pressure plates, from when I did my interanl to external swap on my 2.5

Since you're going to have everything apart anyway, go get youself a new clutch kit. Then you know it's right, and everything will be new, which is going to be to your advantage since you're putting it behind a rebuilt motor.

I doubt it. The internal slave and external slave had different pressure plates, from when I did my interanl to external swap on my 2.5

Since you're going to have everything apart anyway, go get youself a new clutch kit. Then you know it's right, and everything will be new, which is going to be to your advantage since you're putting it behind a rebuilt motor.

Thanks. Normally I would just put a new one in, but my old one only has about 10K miles on it!

Thanks

Tom

So I'm going to need a new clutch, pressure plate too I guess, fork and pivot ball, as well as a new front bearing retainer, and slave cylinder. Anything else? Will the external slave bolt up to my existing plumbing?

Thanks

Tom

So I'm going to need a new clutch, pressure plate too I guess, fork and pivot ball, as well as a new front bearing retainer, and slave cylinder. Anything else? Will the external slave bolt up to my existing plumbing?

Thanks

Tom

It should, but you may have to run an extender. Usually when you buy a new clutch, you get the PP, clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and the alignment too. I paid $130 for mine. $50 for the slave. I don't know if you can even get the pivot ball and fork new.

You have an AX-5 out of a 2002? 2002 what? Last year for the XJ was '01.

Thanks

Tom

It should, but you may have to run an extender. Usually when you buy a new clutch, you get the PP, clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and the alignment too. I paid $130 for mine. $50 for the slave. I don't know if you can even get the pivot ball and fork new.

You have an AX-5 out of a 2002? 2002 what? Last year for the XJ was '01.

Sorry - 2000 XJ with the 2.5/ax-5. I wanted a lower mileage trans with the external slave -- nothing really WRONG with my trans, just well-worn.

My plan is to put the engine/trans together OFF the car, then hoist them up and in, then attach the transfer case. I guess I'll know if I need new plumbing or an extender once everything is in place. I'm new with manual transmissions, so there will be some dumb questions -- thanks for the help thus far, as I track down parts.

My plan is to put the engine/trans together OFF the car, then hoist them up and in, then attach the transfer case. I guess I'll know if I need new plumbing or an extender once everything is in place. I'm new with manual transmissions, so there will be some dumb questions -- thanks for the help thus far, as I track down parts.

You can pull the master cylinder out too, and get everything hooked up with the setup outside the vehicle, and do a bench bleed. That way you know everything works right without the hassle of it being surrounded by 2500 lbs of comanche.

I used a clutch line from an 88 4.0 in my 91(91 had that stupid plastic line), which had a soft line connecting the two hardlines, and was able to get that to work.

[cliche] The only dumb question is the one that's never asked [/cliche] It makes sense to ask when you're unsure and get it done right, rather than guess and screw up something that could endanger you.