no shift

:headpop: :headpop:

just started today, transmission does not want to shift. 4.0 automatic on the column. The engine was getting hot but I thinl that is fixed. Now just having the problem of not shifting. I this the end of my tranny?

It should shift when you control it manually. There's no 2nd gear when you do it that way, but you should be able to get 3rd and 4th. Pull that fuse and try it manually. The FSM diagnostic tree says to remove the fuse when you shift manually. That deactivates the TCU.

stays in 1st thru all positions. Fluid is good. The fuse is the one under the dash labeled trans? 87

TV Cable.

No, not the one hooked up to your TV, This One

The Throttle valve cable.

You need to check if it's connected to the transmission, internally by pulling on the cable to see if there is resistance, if that passes, then just follow the directions on that link, and push the plunger and it will automatically adjust it's self, more or less ;)

There is a slim chance that the cable snapped, and then you need to drop the pan on the AW4 and replace the cable, and change the filter while your in there.

This TV cable will keep the transmission in 1st gear all the time, not allowing it to shift into other gears.

I'll have to run up to the dealership and check that out. They are closed tomorrow anyhow. Would I just pull anotherone off a comanche at the yard or pick up a new one at the dealership? There are a couple here to pull from.

For the time and effort to pull the tranny pan to get to the TV cable, I don't think I would want to pull one out of a junk yard :roll:

First check if your is attached internally, and do the adjustment, and see if this solves the problem with the shifting, then if your cable is failed.....I think this is a dealer only part, and order a new one.

Also......this cable along with many other parts are the same as the XJ's, so you Don't need to pull parts off a MJ in the junk yard just to match up.