Need some tips

So I've started into a HUGE project.

I bought an 2wd 88 Comanche off my cousin when I was home on vaction from Iraq a few years ago. It wasn't running and had a busted rear window. But thats fine considering what I've got planned for it.

The plan is to turn this thing into a baja/prerunner style rig. I've stripped out the interior and the engine. I'm currently building a Chevy 350 for it. Already got the tranny ready to go. The engine will be in the 400-450 HP range so it'll be a screaming bugger.

Problem I've come across is building a cage in it. I've got tubing for the cage already and a pipe bender. But I'm having trouble bending sharper angles without kinking the pipe. Any suggestions on that? I've heard that filling them with sand and capping the ends helps it hold its shape.

Got a 6.5" lift planned with a front end lift and rear axle flip. SOA I believe it's called.

Any suggestions on other modifications I should do as well?

it's 1 5/8ths tubeing. NHRA required size for roll cage. I looked up specs for sizes so I know it's strong enough.

I have a pipe bender from Harbor Freight. It's a 12 ton hydraulic jack. You put the pipe across the rollers and crank away until you get your required bend.

Sharpest angle is a near 90* on the rear main hoop.

I'll dig out my camera and get some pictures going.

Your problem is using the wrong tool. Pipe benders are for bending "pipe." For bending "tube," you need a tube bender.

The difference is that steel tubing is measured by outside diameter. Pipe is measured/specified by inside diameter, so 1-1/4" pipe (for example) is close to 1-1/2" in outside diameter.

Bending tube without kinks requires mandrels that fit the tube tightly, and it's pretty much impossible to use pipe mandrels because they just don't match up to the diameter of the tubing.

I realize the difference between pipe and tube.

Pipe has a seam whereas tube does not.

Although the diameter is slightly different it's very close and the wall thickness is similar. So the bender I have should work. It's just difficult with the size of tubing I have. Or anything larger for that matter.

As for a Mandrel bender those are nice and all. But according to a source they are about 275,000 dollars for a used one. So thats not really reasonable. And the nearest shop with one is several hours drive from here.

I'm just going to try the sand filled method and see what luck I have.

Although the diameter is slightly different it's very close and the wall thickness is similar. So the bender I have should work. It's just difficult with the size of tubing I have. Or anything larger for that matter.

First, that's not the only difference between pipe and tube.

Second, bending tube with a pipe bender hasn't ever worked for anyone else, so why are you so convinced it should work for you?

Sorry to be brusque, but you came here with a question. The answer is that you're using the wrong equipment for the job. What you wish to do about that is your choice. There is a reason why tube benders cost so much more than pipe benders, and why Harbor Freight Tools doesn't sell tube benders.