Rear Bumper Mounting Differences?

I hope, no I know that some of you on here can tell me if there are any differences in the way a Short Wheel Base bumper mounts vs. a LWB. I am working on getting a rear bumper made and the fabricator only has a SWB MJ on hand for reference. I realize the bumper itself is the same, I just need to know about the mounting arms and anything else that may be different between the two. If this works out, we may have another rear bumper option for the MJ! Thanks - Rich

The bumper brackets for the LWB and SWB are identical Rich.

I have to disagree. There is a little difference depending on which way you are going. The original early LWB brackets won't work on a SWB. The later models and replacement brackets however were notched and cut in a way that would allow those brackets to work on either truck.

The way you are going will work: The SWB brackets need to be notched to clear the spring shackle bolts and cut to slide somewhat inside the rear of the frame rails. The LWB brackets don't need these features but it won't matter if the bracket has them.

The bumper brackets for the LWB and SWB are identical Rich.

I have to disagree. There is a little difference depending on which way you are going. The original early LWB brackets won't work on a SWB. The later models and replacement brackets however were notched and cut in a way that would allow those brackets to work on either truck.

The way you are going will work: The SWB brackets need to be notched to clear the spring shackle bolts and cut to slide somewhat inside the rear of the frame rails. The LWB brackets don't need these features but it won't matter if the bracket has them.

Thanks Tracker - was not aware of this. A few years ago I purchased a new factory 1986 chrome rear bumper for my 91 LWB and it fit w. no mods. And the bumper brackets carry the same p/n for all 87-92 models. So I guess you some experience in this matter. :D

It's a small difference but I wouldn't want someone to go through what we did- Lay in JY dirt to remove the rear bumper and brackets off an '86 LWB only to get home and find out they won't work on a later SWB. :mad:

That '86 chrome bumper is a nice one. A couple people on the board didn't like seeing mine go when I sold the trail'r.