Jeep is eating my Ballast Resistors.

What gives? This is the 2nd one Ive had sheet the bed in 2 weeks.

What are they doing, burning up? If you have a multimeter, disconnect one end of the ballast resistor and put your meter in series on the 10A (or higher) scale and start it up. This will tell you how many amps the pump is drawing. I'm guessing it should be no more than 10A draw.

well, I'm looking for insight really. Today, I could run it for about oh, 10-12 minutes and then it would cut in and out with fuel delivery. Shut it down, start it up, same thing, 10-12 mins, cut in and out.

Even giving it too much pedal will make fuel delivery go weird.

With it bypassed, runs like a scalded dog.

well, I'm looking for insight really. Today, I could run it for about oh, 10-12 minutes and then it would cut in and out with fuel delivery. Shut it down, start it up, same thing, 10-12 mins, cut in and out. Even giving it too much pedal will make fuel delivery go weird.

Okay, so they are not burning up. The ballast resistor should read between 2-4 ohms. If that measurement's good, measure the voltage at the pump with the resistor in the circuit. Should be 9-11 volts. If the voltage is lower than that, you've probably got corrosion at the ballast resistor wire connectors causing excessive voltage drop, since it runs okay when you jumper out the resistor.

Wouldn't hurt to do a fuel pressure test at the rail and change the fuel filter too. :cheers:

well, I'm looking for insight really. Today, I could run it for about oh, 10-12 minutes and then it would cut in and out with fuel delivery. Shut it down, start it up, same thing, 10-12 mins, cut in and out. Even giving it too much pedal will make fuel delivery go weird.

Okay, so they are not burning up. The ballast resistor should read between 2-4 ohms. If that measurement's good, measure the voltage at the pump with the resistor in the circuit. Should be 9-11 volts. If the voltage is lower than that, you've probably got corrosion at the ballast resistor wire connectors causing excessive voltage drop, since it runs okay when you jumper out the resistor.

Wouldn't hurt to do a fuel pressure test at the rail and change the fuel filter too. :cheers:

Don, you hit it on the nose.

the little plugs themselves are blacker than night, lots of corrosion.