Need AC help

I replaced the condensor which had a hole in it this past weekend. I tried to recharge the system and the compressor pulley would lock up and the belt would slip. Should I replace the bearing or should I get a junk yard compressor? This is in my 86 mj with all 94 parts. Thanks in advance.

How are you recharging the system? Do you have the proper equipment or are you just trying to hook up a can of freon and pump it in?

Don't mean to insult you if you are experienced, but this info will help get a more informed answer from us. ;)

OK...but do you have the machine to pull the correct vacuum on the system before trying to charge it? You can not charge an AC system without the system having a vacuum in it to start with. When the system has been open and voided, there is no way to recharge it without an AC machine.

Not only that, but if the system has been open you have air in it. Air is mostly Nitrogen, about 20% oxygen and a little bit of s bunch of other stuff, INCLUDING WATER VAPOR.

If you do not pull a good vacuum to get the water vapor out, the water will condense up and freeze when the AC is running. Ice crystals are like sand, and will destroy the bearings inside the compressor.

If you are technically inclined, buy a vacuum pump and adapters, take a course on automotive A/C systems, and do it yourself.

Or, just to be sure have it done professionally.

But by now the compressor might already be junk as you say it seems to have seized.

Personally...I would not bother with a used compressor or bearing changing. You can get "NEW" (not rebuilt) compressors in the aftermarket for $200 or a little less. I just did it on our YJ and the MJ is going to need one soon too. When new stuff is that cheap...why mess with junk yard junk?

At auto zone and advance a new 1 is $350 and a reman is 260 minimum. I have a 1994 xj engine in my comanche. It must be a different compressor than yours was using. That is a lot of money for a truck I drive once a week. Guess thats why I haven't tried to fix it and I've had it 3 years. If you know of a cheaper place let me know. Thanks