moab

jared

what is the best time of year to head to moab.

i don't want it too busy like in easter, nor do i want it to be a ghost town.

also cooler temps would be nice, since i would be drving from new jersey in a tj with no a/c what are the cooler months like in the 70'sto 80's

also how do you think a stock tj would do on 31's (mine :D )

and any recommendations of things to do other than wheeling (yes there are other things in life) and places to stay.

thanks,

Jared

I think it was late May when I went. Day one was overcast and I was wearing long sleeves. Day two the sun came out and it was a shorts/t-shirts swaet-a-thon. The weather is very unpredictable out in the desert.

The trails are rated so you should be able to find the difficulty you desire. Every trail is awesome so you don't need a 5+ to have fun and check out the incredible scenery. Moab Rim and Hells Revenge get lots of praise. I did part of Hells and part of Poison Spider and recommend them both. :D

Doesn't hurt to throw in a rear locker for the trip, but it's not incredible necessary. You'll just have more wheel spin in the sandy areas.

Most important is to not hit the trails alone. Who ya wheelin' with? :brows:

I camped at the campground north (I think) of town. Nice place.

well pete it won't be for a while probably at least a year closer to 2 unfortunatly. the money needs to come in.

as for a wheeling group don't really have one yet. :oops: but i am sure over the course of the next year things could be planned for a possible meet :brows:

what is the best time of year to head to moab.

i don't want it too busy like in easter, nor do i want it to be a ghost town.

also cooler temps would be nice, ....thanks,

Jared

Hard to be there for the best weather and miss the crowds at the same time. ;) It is a ghost town December through early Feb (esp January). And it is generally hot June through Sept. I have seen it snow there in June and worn t shirt and shorts Mid February.

Here is a great resource for finding Moab locals to wheel with.

http://webejeepinmoab.com/

Sometimes you can find groups to join up with at City Market (grocery store in the middle of town)

Also the Intermountain Chapter of NAXJA http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

always has somebody down there both scheduled/unscheduled, besides the NAXJA Fall Fling every October.