Virgin 89 Comanche open for suggestions of wild ideas

Just like the title suggests I will be taking delivery of a 1989 MJ that has never been touched. I am looking for great ideas from you guys out there. The first thing I will be doing is upgrading the complete front end to a 97-99 XJ front clip. I will possibly be upgrading the front doors as well. After that I will be looking at doing a 3-4" lift I want to stick to the 3-4 area since I will be driving it everyday for a work truck. I would like to hear some of those ideas that I know we all have and make an ultimate MJ unlike others out there. Please keep in mind this will be an ongoing project and need to keep things realistic. I will be doing all of what I can out of my garage and having some things done other places. I am open to ideas of how to do the lift ie. springs from other vehicles TJ, YJ, XJ, ZJ I would like to keep all of the donor parts from other jeeps if at all possible. What info I can add right now is 1989 MJ 4 cylinder manual trans. 2wd(will also be doing a 4WD transplant). Well please send your ideas and pictures if possible. Thanks in advance for all of your help. jamminz.gif

Wrangler,

There is at least a dozen of us with quite extensive posts of our own Comanche buildups right here!!

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Just start reading!!!

If you find something you really like, and if more info is needed. Just post up for that author he and most likely others will answer you.

Good luck and good reading!!

CW

I alway have Wild Ideas :D

I could not even start telling you what 'upgrades' to start with, I'm strictly a stock type person. I like that way they rolled out of the factory 20 years ago, and all the ones I have done, I've kept them stock.

What I will say, and others have found this too, is if you want to make this un-molested MJ a DD start at one end, and completely go thru it, I mean everything, replace every seal, gasket and whatnot.

IE: brake lines, don't start with replacing one line, replace ALL the lines, and wheel cylinders, and all brake hardware. Do a complete re-build of the brake system, the time you put into replacing it all at once, will save you lot's of time down the road. And you'll have something that you know will work, and hold up.

These trucks are 20 years old, the seals are all dry rotted and leaking, and I found it better to just plan the attack and do everything in one process. The '89 I'm DD now, I did this, and I can jump into it anytime, and hit the road for a 300 mile trip, with out a problem ;)

info I can add right now is 1989 MJ 4 cylinder manual trans. 2wd

From the spec's you put out there, Me - I would find a '87-'90 XJ, swap the complete drive train in, D30, And all wiring harnesses, and convert it to a 4.0, AW4, 231, 4wd all at once, and re-build all the components as you go.

I would do a 4.0 HO swap from a 91-95 XJ. If you find a good parts rig it will have everything you need and more. The non-discconrct front axle if a bonus, unless you are like me and using a 9"/ HP D44 combo. .

I could go on and on about things you could do...

I like this one but as a 4x4. jamminz.gif

Image Not Found

I really like the stock restoration look, because it's so rare. I can classify all the MJ's I've ever seen in my area as either unrestored or lifted... Of these the unrestored ones always make me wonder how long before the owner sends it off to the JY not realizing there are people out there that love these trucks and want to keep them from the crusher.

Here's my restoration/mod (restomod) mostly stock build

I'm hoping to do a 2wd street Comanche build in the future which is even more unusual of a build.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... sc&start=0