brake issues

My 1992 comanche 4.0 manual 2wd D44 rear has no braking at the rear. It's got a 3 inch lift so after doing a little research on here, I figured the rear proportioning valve was out of position or not working. I lengthened the bar to match my lift and didn't help, so I yanked it out. I ran out of time so I had to back the truck into the garage and found out I now have no brakes. The rear lines are not connected, but shouldn't I still have front brakes? Isn't that why there are two reservoirs in the master cylinder. My 1972 cj kept the front brakes when I tore a rear line. Does this mean the front proportioning valve is bad? If so where do I find a new one? Thanks..

Brian

My 1992 comanche 4.0 manual 2wd D44 rear has no braking at the rear. It's got a 3 inch lift so after doing a little research on here, I figured the rear proportioning valve was out of position or not working. I lengthened the bar to match my lift and didn't help, so I yanked it out. I ran out of time so I had to back the truck into the garage and found out I now have no brakes. The rear lines are not connected, but shouldn't I still have front brakes? Isn't that why there are two reservoirs in the master cylinder. My 1972 cj kept the front brakes when I tore a rear line. Does this mean the front proportioning valve is bad? If so where do I find a new one? Thanks.. Brian

Did you have rear brakes before the lift? And are you sure the the rear prop valve is re-installed correctly? The operating lever of the valve should be slightly above parallel to the axle shaft. If you extended the link rod 3" to match your lift this it how it should be. Worked fine for me. :cheers:

You should have front brakes ... but you'll have a VERY low pedal.

And the front metering block on an MJ is not a proportioning valve. All it does is provide the brake system warning light if you lose front or rear brakes. All proportioning is handled by the rear valve. If you really have NO front brakes with the rears disconnected, you probably need a master cylinder.

I ran out of time so I had to back the truck into the garage and found out I now have no brakes.

Not to get off topic, but you didn't find out about the brakes because you backed into the rear of the garage did you? :eek:

I forgot to mention I have a new master cylinder and was told it had a new booster when I bought it. Luckily, I noticed the lack of front brakes before backing up the truck so used the still functional e-brake which is tricky on a hill with a manual. So the garage is still standing. i honestly can't remember if I had rear brakes before the lift. I don't drive above 35 often so stopping has always been soft, but doable. I want to make it a daily driver though so obviously this needs to be fixed. The bar wasn't in the position you mentioned after lengthening the rod so I'll try again and set it just above parallel tomorrow.