Exhaust Manny?

I'm 90% sure mine has a crack (or cracks)...although been too lazy to crawl under when the truck was the engine is still "cool". I had one bust on my TJ a couple years ago and the symptoms are similar... poor running (worse than usual), extra amounts of puffing/chugging and extra gassy exhaust smell (while sitting in the cab)... I was able to get the TJ one replaced under the 7yr/70K warranty thing...

On a scale 1 to 10 how hard of an install is that to do myself (remember I'm a novice wrench), and should I get an OEM Type Replacement (from where?), or something else after market?

Thanks

SuperWDeuce

Get an aftermarket replacement. There is a guy on eBay that sells them for about $90.

The OEM replacements are terribly expensive...even with the discount that I could get for you. Retail is $519 ... I can get it for $359. :roll: :eek:

As far as difficulty...it can be a pain with rusted bolts and access to the bolts without the right tools, but over all it's not a terribly hard job. I would give it a 5 on a scale to 10.

Good question SW2, I have the instructions from Alldata if you need them.

It says it takes a moderate experienced mechanic 4.6 hours, because you need to remove the power steering stuff, fuel rail, intake manifold heat shield, vaccum hoses, air box, and intake manifold. Although I think jeepco just lifted the engine and welded the cracks on his.

I'd also like to know where's a good option to buy because the dealer is just too expensive for the exhaust manifold.

i have used the ebay cheapies with good results.buy the "better" cheap one.usually 100-125 bucks.easy to do. take some digital pics as you go along so you can use them as a guide to reassemble the truck properly.spray all the bolts with your favorite penetrant (i like pb blaster myself) and let them soak overnight before you attempt the job.i believe you will need sae size tools for most of the fasteners.be careful with the brittle/old/oily sensor connectors when you access them.check your wiring and clean up anything that looks bad while you're in there.

I'm 90% sure mine has a crack (or cracks)...although been too lazy to crawl under when the truck was the engine is still "cool".

your truck must not be high enough.

you shouldnt have to "crawl" its all about walkin under :brows: