Trans/clutch failure

Not sure if it is a AX5 or AX15 but I know the PO had swapped transmissions in my 90 w/4.0. No info about year or mileage.

Yesterday It failed without warning. Started with a grinding on a 2 gear shift (normal driving) and continued to get worse. I tryed to limp home but ended up without anything. Tomorrow it will come home but for now I'm looking for a direction/advice on possibilities.

Currently, If I hold in the clutch all is fine, no noises.

If I try to engage the clutch, all I get is grinding and nothing moves.

Makes no differance if in gear (any gear) or netural.

I had expected it to be the transmission, but "All the Noise" comes from the clutch area. Depressing the pedal feels normal and appears to work normal.

I have never had a clutch fail and until I get it home to pull things apart I can only guess. Is a clutch failure as described, without warning, suddenally just giving up the ghost and perhaps the rivits grind? Or will the trans noise appear to come from the bellhousing area.

Appreciate the advice.

if the clutch feels normal and there's no noise when depressed, then the clutch is fine.

your symptom is similar to when my 86 mj blew up a front layshaft bearing, which wrecked most of the transmission in the 1 mile drive home. i replaced it.

major thing here. you either have an ax15, or a ba10/5. if it was replaced, it could be either. if it was replaced with one from the same year, it's an ax15.

ax5 is literally not possible to put behind a 4.0 unless someone very stupid spent some time building a bellhousing and clutch system for it.

is it 4wd? check your transfercase as well. the best thing you can do is drain the transfercase and transmission (into seperate drain pans) and look at the fluid to see if there is any metal shavings inside. seperate pans so you can tell exactly where it came from.

I had totally expected it to be either the trans or Transfer, based on what happened, but was totally thrown by the noise coming from the bellhousing.

When I get it here I will start with your advice, it make great sense. Thanks

you most likey have internal slave ax-15. 89 was the transition year between the frenchi" ba10/5 and the ax-15. I would have to agree with "JeepcoMJ" drain and check the fluids this could be lost of syncro's. if you can put it on a frame lift and attempt to run it through the gears and see what you have just a thought. good luck and keep us posted jamminz.gif

Yes, it is an internal slave and I am sure it is NOT a BA10. Given the above, that leaves the AX15.

We just got it home and drained the fluids. Both the transfer and transmission fluid look new, no metal or even discoleration, nice clean fresh fluid. They were changed in Nov.

When the trans is put in gear and the clutch engaged, the truck does not move but, the noise is terriable, again, just from the bellhousing. When the clutch is depressed, the noise goes away.

Just as a side note; I can push the truck, with it shut OFF, in netural or in gear, no differance except, in gear there is a scraping/grinding coming from the bellhousing.

I am going back to the clutch/pressure plate failing somehow. There was and is no fried clutch smell so I am looking at a mechanical failure I think.

It will take me several days to pull the trans as the snow is on the ground and I have to work outside. I will get back as soon as I have them seperated. Thanks for the help everyone.

since this is a internal slave it has been known for the retaining pin that holds the slave cylinder in place to come loose which could be part of the problem. I personally don't the internal setup for the above stated reason there are some that do. good luck and keep us posted

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally found some time.

Seems the clutch disc sheered at the spline. I have never had a clutch disc fail that way before. It just spins freely inside itself. You can't see it in the picture but, the fingers that connect with the springs are gone.

Also of interest, There appears to be no pilot bearing. Anyone know how much damage there might be with the trans input seal?

Well I am off to get a new clutch - anyone want a good used pressure plate?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found