rebuilding a distributor

tore my spare apart for my 2.5 4 cylinder today, it seemed a bit stiff...

Image Not Found

cleaned her all up and put together, but...

the "seal" up top seems a bit worn. has anyone ever rebuilt a distributor? what are the vertical tolerances of the shaft (i.e. how much should the shaft be able to move up & down)

nother thing i got done was bead-blasting and then painting my 91 2.5 aluminum valve cover...the plastic ones are junk and mine's warped/cracked/leaking like a siv.

Image Not Found

set seal on for overnight adhering. I use Loctite 515 gasket eliminator on all gaskets I do.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I think it turned out good overall...will be installing them in my cherokee in the morning along with new wires, cap, rotor, and possibly ignition coil pack. just unsure of the play on the distributor. (replacing because mine leaks)

curious about your distributor leak. Was it actually leaking inside to the cap? Mine is doing that and I'm hoping all I need to do is replace the seal (oring from the dealer) where is mates to the engine. Was this the case for yours or did you determine the leak was from something else?

Thanks,

Sean

mine had leaked previously INSIDE the cap, and at the base gasket as well. I'm not sure how much of the oil on the engine was from it, as the valve cover itself was leaking heavily...so there's no way to tell.

there's a gasket at the base, and a squared off O-ring inside the distributor. the distributor can be installed one way, with the shaft being able to be set in two ways, 180 degrees apart. make sure you get it right or it will not start (oops)

Pat that valve cover looks great. Did you blast the inside as well and what type of bead are you using?

I spent most the afternoon making a blasting cabinet to do the same as well as two dozen more parts. Got to finish it up tomorrow.

I hope it produces work like that. jamminz.gif

mine had leaked previously INSIDE the cap, and at the base gasket as well. I'm not sure how much of the oil on the engine was from it, as the valve cover itself was leaking heavily...so there's no way to tell.

there's a gasket at the base, and a squared off O-ring inside the distributor. the distributor can be installed one way, with the shaft being able to be set in two ways, 180 degrees apart. make sure you get it right or it will not start (oops)

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to have to call the dealer and get the squared off o-ring as I don't have that one. I'm assuming its a similar design to the 4.0, what I'll be working on.