Auto Trans overheathing/leaking

Hello to everyone. I've been 'trolling' around the site for a while now. Great site that has answered a lot of Comanche questions for me.

I am on my second Comanche, a 1992 SB 4.0 4x4 auto Trans with a 6' plow. I bought the truck with 48, xxx 3 years ago. It now has 85, xxx. I wasn't looking for a Comanche with a plow, but now that I have one it beats the heck out of shoveling!

I am developing a problem with transmission fluid leaking after performing some minor plowing. The warmer the weather, the quicker it starts to leak, and the volume of fluid increases. If I am driving with the plow detached, I am not leaking any fluid. This makes me believe I have an overheating transmission problem. The leak is originating from the bell housing area.

Any ideas/ places to start looking to fix this problem would be appreciated.

I have not known of any XJ or MJ that has a plow that doesn't have or won't soon after install develop some kind of temp problem.

Traveling with the plow up just blocks too much of the radiator. Plowing your own driveway and maybe just the neighbors will likely be all these trucks can do with out temp problems. Its just the way it is. There are MUCH better choices for a plow truck. That's why there are chebys... use them till they won't run and get another. No worries cause there is MILLIONS of 'em!!!:roll:

Get rid of the plow, OR just use it for your own drive and then remove it. drain and refill your tranny with fresh fluid. Do this a couple times as you won't be able to change much more than 1/3 at a time and it sounds like your fluid is burnt... Tranny fluid doesn't like high temps...

CW

Yea, plowing takes it's toll on any truck :cry:

I know, I plow too :roll:

But the last few years, I've been using a stick (and hate it)

But you are having a problem with the tranny fluid getting too hot, and what was said is happing.

Do add a transmission cooler to the system, and before you add more fluid, drop the pan, change the filter and fill up with fresh New fluid.

The AW4 takes a lot of beating, but with any auto trans, the heat kills them.

I agree with CW on the air flow, I just use it around town, and it only takes me 5 minutes to drop the plow and hit the road if I'm doing a long trip, plus why drive around on a sunny day with the 360# plow on the front :nuts:

But the Comanche is the best plow truck I've used, I can turn around in a 2 wide driveway with out a problem, try that with a full size truck :D

Thanks for all the advice. I bought my 1987 4x4 4.0 5speed Comanche with 110,000, drove it until 225,000. My first truck was so good to me that I looked for almost 2 years to find a 91 or 92. I found my newer 1992 Comanche 3 years ago and sold the 1987.

The 1992 was equipped with the plow when I bought it. It was the School District of Green Bay superintendents personal work truck. I use it to plow my 20x90 driveway and remove it for normal driving. My Comanche is my winter truck, so I need to use it for winter purposes. My truck is equipped with a 3" skyjacker lift that I installed for hauling firewood and plowing. The 3" lift keeps the Jeep 'off the ground' when hauling or plowing.

Looks like I am going to have to install an aux. trans. cooler.

Two more questions because I didn't find anything in the search...

Can anyone recommend cooler that has worked well for them?

If I get a trans temp gauge, what temp range should my Jeep optimally operate in?

Thanks

But the Comanche is the best plow truck I've used, I can turn around in a 2 wide driveway with out a problem, try that with a full size truck :D

Try plowing with a TJ!!! It won't do well with really deep snow. But is THE BOMB for most of what he get here in Connecticut!!! GREAT Visibility, GREAT turning, Plenty of traction and power. Small enough to maneuver between parked cars and landscape curbs. Its my all time favorite!!!

I get a couple hundred hours a year plowing at my job. I plow with Cheby Pu, Super-duty PU's, Wranglers, big dump trucks as well as little John Deere tractors for the walk ways.

CW