Starting Question

Pumping the gas pedal does absolutley nothing as that is only opening and closing the throttle plate (air flap) in the throttle body. It is normal for the Renix engine in the '87 - '90 MJ to take a few revolultions or as much as 2-3 seconds to fire up. It sometimes helps to turn the key to the on position and wait for the fuel pump to pressurize the system before attempting to start it, but even that doesn't always help. You can hear the "buzz" of the fuel pump for about 2 seconds and when it stops...start it.

I found two things that made mine start a little faster...

-New fuel injectors

-New battery wiring harness

My old injectors looked like this...

My old battery harness looked like this...

I plan on putting new fuel injectors as well as Oxygen sensor in when the weather breaks. Truck only has 59k original miles and no rust except for floor, very unusual for a northern truck. And you are a very lucky person not to have your MJ go up in smoke. To be honest I'm suprised it ran. Last year on my sierra I was plowing and my plow pinched the hot wire against the plow frame and melted the entire plow wiring harness which melted thru my truck battery. Luckily I was able to jump out of the truck and cut the red hot wire. Needless to say the fuse wasn't hooked up correctly and never tripped. Thank god no other issues because it was a lease.

Do they have an injector for the 2.5 renix TBI? Sorry for the highjack but I have to ask.
No...I have been asked that a few times now...sorry. I work at a Jeep dealership and have checked on them there too, but they are no longer available...aftermarket only :roll: .

No...he has TBI which is one single in injector on top of the throttle body ;) .

Just an FYI...as you can see, Precision Auto Injectors does sell on eBay as well, but you can not use the discount if you buy on eBay from him...only his website will honor it.