Bought another 89 MJ

comancheon33

I was trolling around on a local radio stations want ads on Sunday evening. Stumbled across an listing and 89 Comanche for 400 bucks with no description and it was 6 days old. After thinking about for about an hour I decided to call him. He was an older guy that is very upset with the truck and wants it gone. He bought about 6-8 months ago and has had nothing but issues with it. He bought with mild damage to body and it would not run. Says it goes through about 2 gallons of gas per mile and will only run when floored. He had replaced the fuel pressure regulator and map sensor with no improvment. Told me on the phone 200 cash its yours I am going to buy something with a carb on it. F&%k this fuel injected stuff. Needless to say 5 o'clock at work today couldn't come soon enough. I headed his way which was about an hour from me.

When I show up its a decent 2wd SWB Pioneer 4.0 auto with rust on the rear wheelwells and a little on the rockers. Gray with a burgandy interior bench seat and column shift with tilt. 149k on the ticker. Needless to say I can't say no to any comanche under 500. I bought so it makes number 6 comanche of mine in the yard.

Planning on pulling in the shop tomorrow night and see what its gonna take to get it running right. If it goes will use it to replace my current work beater 89 2.5 4 speed. I will post up progress and pics in the next couple days.

ballast resistor going bad? clogged fuel filter?

Ballast Resistor is only used during startup. Fuel pump itself could be fubar.

The ballast resistor is bypassed during startup. After startup the fuel pump relay latches and the resistor is placed in the circuit to lower the operating voltage to the pump. Makes it last longer and run quieter. ;)