Shifter stuck in park

Hi all,

I’m in a pickle and hope to find some help. I recently moved to a new place and had my 91 Pioneer towed (took something apart + didn’t have time to put it together lol).

Since being towed, my shifter and key is stuck in park. I’ve tried everything that I could think of but no luck. I even broke the steering wheel free 😅.

My truck is automatic w/ tilt column. I checked transmission and am able to put the transmission into gear with the shifter cable unlinked. Ive tried to put it in all 2/4 wheel variations with no luck. 

Truck was completely fine before towing.

Any ideas? 

I noticed the buzzing noise from driver side door is not on anymore, it’s usually on. 

Your description is hard to follow.  

The key can't be stuck in park.  Do you mean the key won't turn to unlock the column?  If that is the case, you say you broke the steering wheel free?  How?  There is a large pin that engages the lock plate inside the column.  If you broke that to get the steering wheel to turn, that takes a lot of strength, may have caused other damage inside the column.

If the key won't turn to the run position, the column shifter won't move out of park.  So it sounds like the key not turning is the root of the problem.

The buzzing sound, are you referring to the key in warning buzzer?  If so, it's also a seatbelt warning buzzer.  That box is located next to the fuse box, just to the driver side of it.  If it is black, it has seatbelt/key in ignition warning functions.  If it is blue, it also has the headlights on with key off warning function.  

How was the vehicle towed?  If it was flat towed, and they left the key on so the front wheels would be unlocked to follow the prime mover, maybe they removed the buzzer box??  Not sure why they would, but possible.

Picture shows the warning buzzer location.  It's the blue box to the left of the fuse box.  Could be blue or black.

IMG_8002.jpg

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the super late reply and unclear post. It was a last ditch effort to see if I could get my rig back on the road. I'm not really sure what happened but I could not get out of park using my shifter. I double checked my transmission and was able shift. There was something going on with the tilt column. I ended up having to disassemble my steering column down to the turn signal switch mechanism. I just sat there jiggling, cursing, and googling until I managed to get it functioning again. 

FYI, here's a excellent link that was super helpful for me - https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/2001-fixing-jeep-comanche-cherokee-steering-problems/

I did end up breaking something and am unsure what it was, maybe the horn plate contact with the metal pin? Thanks for the information about the buzzer, I was able to remove the driver side door ajar buzz which was driving me crazy.

Appreciate trying to help me out