Comanche Tonneau covers(Sold)

Wow, did a decent search on anybody who makes these for long beds, no one, even those who use to like Downey, are out of business, even called one of the largest manufactures of them whom use to do customs(no longer does) Extang, no luck.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I'll research them, but at this point I may buy and oversized one, one that cutting the aluminum channels down to size will still allow them to fit together, then have a marine shop or upholstery fabricator modify the oversize cover to fit. I have one Amish connection here in Ohio I'm going to reach out to and see what he has to say.

I'll update as I find info, in the meantime, toss out all ideas or suggestions.

Edited by Armyvet25
Sold

No problem, we have short bed owner that might benefit from your info, since Canyon I'm assuming the Colorado as well. GMC/Chevy

I've contacted Extang and J&R 2 of the biggest tonneau companies whom use to do customs, but no longer do, no longer have the skill set employees nor can find anyone who can do that kind of work.

Awaiting Truxedo's response who still does customs, my fear is it will be cost prohibited no matter who does it, but I will ask them about longbed without the roll bar for those who don't have/use one.

I know they are expensive, but I will contact a few Marine/boat upholsters since I live right at Lake Erie and there are a few here.

Here are the dimensions minus roll bar cutouts for anyone attempting this as well.

*Long Bed

Inside dimensions of truck bed, exactly 88" in length id. 90" OD
front ID dimension 56-3/8"
rear ID dimension 55-1/4"
only have approx 1" ledge on front where bed meets cab, same at tailgate.
2" available top ledge on sides.

good news bad news.....good news- Truxedo WILL make them for the long bed, bad news- not for the sport bar- good news, I'll have pricing fairly soon, bad news- can't buy direct have to go through one of their approved vendors, good news- I'm talking with one of the vendors now who will contact me in the next probably 48hrs or sooner.

I informed them there may be a few of us wanting them depending on price, so maybe we can get a price break, I'm thinking those of us who want to utilize our roll bar may find it easier to find someone to modify a fitted cover designed without the roll bar than rather than try to make one from scratch.

1 hour ago, armyvet25 said:

good news bad news.....good news- Truxedo WILL make them for the long bed, bad news- not for the sport bar- good news, I'll have pricing fairly soon, bad news- can't buy direct have to go through one of their approved vendors, good news- I'm talking with one of the vendors now who will contact me in the next probably 48hrs or sooner.

I informed them there may be a few of us wanting them depending on price, so maybe we can get a price break, I'm thinking those of us who want to utilize our roll bar may find it easier to find someone to modify a fitted cover designed without the roll bar than rather than try to make one from scratch.

Thanks for all the legwork on this! Keep me updated. 

New update...I don't want to get everybody's hopes up, but I may have found a tonneau replacement, yup, an actual....well almost perfect replacement for the long bed. First off, I corrected a measurement above, it's 88" inside bed length, 90" outside, the above widths are correct inside measurement with an approx 2" overhang allowance before the bed tapes over the side.

Ok, big reveal, first the one that almost worked, runner up; The Nissan Titan claiming 7-1/2ft, but I believe it to be 7'-3", a tad too short and probably too wide. So who's is it? 94-S10 Sonoma, 96-2000 Isuzu Hombre, 02-03 S10 Extreme. Part #22020159

So here's the comparison numbers;

Length

Comanche  88"

22020159   88"1/4"

Front Width

Comanche  56"3/8"

22020159   56"3/4"

Tailgate Width

Comanche  55"1/4"

22020159   54"7/8"

The differences are minuscule as any differences have to be divided by 1 half as ea side takes up the distance taper.

I believe I can make it fit perfectly with some minor adjustments to the tonneau and the truck bed.

This particular roll up Velcro tonneau mounts to the inside of the bed not on top of and with a seal.

If I don't find a reasonable custom cover, which I doubt compared to the price of this one at $327-ish+free ship, I'm buying it, and will do a full detailed custom fit to show you exactly what you can do to use this or fail miserably and tell you not to. But I'm feeling pretty confident, I'll take the plunge so you won't have to, I'll document with photos and video.

Tonneau in question;

2023-02-16_150529.jpg

I talked to the manufacture direct, started off from a supplier, who gave me the company they buy from, then they gave me the guys who make it, who intern transferred me directly to the floor where they make them and install. Perseverance payed off. I bet I've called over 30+ retailers, and a good dozen manufactures to include some small time private companies, although, I may have generated some good leads if the above experiment fails through a few Amish Tarp manufactures. I'll Jeep ya posted:comanche:

3 hours ago, armyvet25 said:

I talked to the manufacture direct, started off from a supplier, who gave me the company they buy from, then they gave me the guys who make it, who intern transferred me directly to the floor where they make them and install. Perseverance payed off. I bet I've called over 30+ retailers, and a good dozen manufactures to include some small time private companies, although, I may have generated some good leads if the above experiment fails through a few Amish Tarp manufactures. I'll Jeep ya posted:comanche:

Any leads in the shortbed? Sounds like a 04 Colorado or Canyon may work but I’m not sure what the dimensions are in one of those. 

2 hours ago, Whitaker717 said:

Any leads in the shortbed? Sounds like a 04 Colorado or Canyon may work but I’m not sure what the dimensions are in one of those. 

If you have a shortbed, give me inside dimension, length of bed between tailgate and header, the width at the cab and the width at the tailgate, I'll investigate for everyone. Make sure you measure inside the the top of the bed, not the outside

11 minutes ago, armyvet25 said:

If you have a shortbed, give me inside dimension, length of bed between tailgate and header, the width at the cab and the width at the tailgate, I'll investigate for everyone. Make sure you measure inside the the top of the bed, not the outside

So mine is 56 1/2” inside to inside top of the bed by the cab. It’s 73” inside the front of the bed right to the tailgate, and about 55 3/4” inside to inside at the back of the truck by the tailgate. Hope I did that right. 

10 hours ago, Whitaker717 said:

So mine is 56 1/2” inside to inside top of the bed by the cab. It’s 73” inside the front of the bed right to the tailgate, and about 55 3/4” inside to inside at the back of the truck by the tailgate. Hope I did that right. 

:L:

update, found the cover(longbed) access20220159 on BBwhelsonline for $269.97, but out of stock, Napa listed it for $299.99 both offered free shipping, called Napa and they price matched, so I ordered it, but not sure when I'll get to this project as it's still winter here.

So, best price plus tax I could find and ordered

2023-02-17_094752.jpg

Just got a call from one of my contacts, can actually get a custom made c-clamp style vinyl tonneau custom made channels and all for $362 plus tax here in Ohio, this does not include shipping. I will schedule a time to go to him(approx1-1/2 hr away) so he can get accurate measurements off my truck if anyone doesn't want to attempt what I'm trying to do with a flush mount tonneau. I may even buy another just to have the regular above bed style, and talk to him about custom with sport bar.

Carlisle Truck Frame Millersburg Ohio (Matt) I'll let you know when he can produce these, I'll also ask about pricing for the short beds.

These guys aren't the run of the mill make this make that, they have al the tooling and equipment and have been making/in business a long time.

• Armyvet25 changed the title to Comanche Tonneau covers(Sold)